1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? ICP testing - Who's doing it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erayk1, Dec 19, 2019.

1. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Anyone on the site using ICP testing? If so are you doing it when you suspect issues or as a regular maintenance task? Which testing kit do you prefer and why?

I am looking at either the kits from ICP via Coralvue or Trident. I like the fact the first is in the USA to get results faster, but Trident seems to offer a bit more explanation behind the results, or remedy suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

2. I used Icp analysis by coralvue, no complaints with the service. I used it just as a precautionary test. Tank was 6 months old and wanted to just see the full picture.
    Next time though, I will go with triton. Even though it’s more expensive, they help provide some additional advice to correct any paramaters that might be off.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I use the ICP test with Triton. I send in a test every 6-9 months to just confirm there is nothing going on that I'm not aware of. I've used it on my 75 gallon tank and cube tank.

4. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Was there anything that you were surprised to see from your first test that you didn't expect?

5. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Do you find their recommendations to actually work and provide value if levels aren't ideal?

6. There was a small amount of Arsenic in my water. But when looking into it, many other reefers had this pop up from the same testing company. So I suspect it was a false reading.

7. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I've seen that in a few other threads on other sites. I've also seen where someone sent in 3 identical samples from freshly made saltwater and have significantly different results when all the companies are saying they are using the same methods. I understand there will be variance in interpretation, but I wanted to make sure I get the most out of the testing.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

8. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Several GIRS members have used the Triton test. Once a year members are offered the Triton test at a savings.

I send in at least 2 tests a year just to make sure I'm on track with water quality. I have sent in a couple tests when I thought there was a problem. There was so I attempted to fix the issue and sent in the second test to see if the problem was resolved.

I would be happy to again offer the Triton test to members at a reduced price. We would need to have a minimum of 20 tests purchased for the special pricing. Tests are not mailed to members so arrangements for getting them is a necessity. If my memory serves me correctly, we try to have a club event to get them to members. Maybe SpringFest if approved and if there's enough interested.

Sent from my SM-N975U via App

9. pwfish

pwfish Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Ive been using the ICP test for about a year. It's cheaper than the Triton, and I get my results in less than a week.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    There are a few ICP tests available. Triton is now being tested in the US since the facility is completed. Tests are not sent overseas now I like Triton because of not only all they test but directions are given on how to remedy any problem. The difference in price is minimal imo.

11. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Now that Triton is testing in the USA, I sent off a sample. I should have results back hopefully by tomorrow!