1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I was bored so i decided to build this....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    I have 2 of these tubs that are 48" x 14" x 9" they both have holes in the bottom so i built a durso pipe and re- routed the output of my skimmer/fuge tank into it.  For flow i am using the t'd off portion of my main return.  There's a good amount of flow and the durso is very quiet so i am happy with it.  There are a few things i would like to do to it yet but this will "get me by" for now.  Currently i have a single 250 watt MH on it but would like to find something with dual 250's.
    SHHHHHH Don't tell Reef Central.
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

2. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The tub looks a little flexy.

Nice size though.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah an hour after i had it running the side gave way and water started pouring over the edge, i have it held together temporarily now, i am going to build a frame with 2 x 4's around the top to hold it together.
    REally should have done that first but oh well.....
    LOL

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Covey, it looks like you have a little bit of sag in the mid section. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif If you were so bored, you could've came down here to clean my tank for me. Ha ha ha!

5. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am so going to report you to the the Reef centrel police unless you give me a frag. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

nice idea!

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well here's a good reason to always think things through and not get in a hurry when building stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently you guys were right about the bowing, i thought my little pvc braces would hold, boy was i wrong.  I checked on the frags this morning and found about 50 gallons of water on the basement floor.  Good thing theres no carpet down here.  I just got done shop vac'ing and am letting the fan do the rest.  I am going to go buy some 2 x 4's and brace the top edge of the tub so it can't flex, then hook it all back up.  Hopefully it won't do that again.
    It could have been worse, i sure am glad i just ordered a bunch of salt and had rodi water on hand...lesson learned.
    I was due for a catastrophy anyway.

7. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a bummer. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif Hopefully this time around it will hold up as long as you have it running.

8. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yep with your luck that should be expected /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Maybe you could mount it over the tank and turn it into some sort of "flex dump bucket" wavemaker...

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 11/26/2007 1:00 PM
    Yep with your luck that should be expected /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">

Maybe you could mount it over the tank and turn it into some sort of "flex dump bucket" wavemaker...
    Heh, i do have another one maybe i can do it with that one....

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that what he just did?? Nice beta test for your flex dump bucket wavemaker Jeremy. Its a million dollar idea. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif
    Posted By covey on 11/26/2007 1:00 PM
    Yep with your luck that should be expected /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is this your version of a surge tank? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw that coming after seeing the first picture... I think you just need to build a base and put a brace around the top

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You need something under it or it will fold in half and fall through the frame. I did the same thing to a rubbermade container I was using for RO storage. Side collapsed and wife exploded.

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You don't need anything underneath it to support it. As long as you have a full frame around the outside edge. That's the way they're made to be mounted.  This isn't your normal "cheapy" rubbermaid plastic.  It's probably at least 3/16" thick.

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thats what i was thinking , i am going to build a 2 x4 brace for the top of it and it should be good to go.  Im almost ready to just admit im a reef addict and dedicate the whole damn basement to it......ahh if only there was a floor drain......
    Posted By got2lb on 11/28/2007 3:23 PM
    You don't need anything underneath it to support it. As long as you have a full frame around the outside edge. That's the way they're made to be mounted.  This isn't your normal "cheapy" rubbermaid plastic.  It's probably at least 3/16" thick.