1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I think I might need rehab...

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Travis, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I was sitting here the other day and got a sudden urge to go to Aquatic Environments and lurk around.  In the past that was no problem as I only lived a few blocks away, but now I am 2 hours away...  I talked the wife into a run to Waterloo to see their LFS's.  That did nothing but exagerate the problem as I now realize there is no place to get my fix within 2 hours...  I always brushed off how lucky we were in the quad cities, but now I am going to become one of the jealous outsiders that waits for any excuse to cruise down to the quad cities for a reef geek meeting. 

2. xcaptivate

xcaptivate Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear you, I think everyone in this area would agree that we need a MAJOR upgrade in LFS's.

3. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heh, we in the quad cities need a major upgrade in lfs.

4. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 01/27/2008 12:38 PM
    heh, we in the quad cities need a major upgrade in lfs.
    You will change your mind if you check out Waterloo/Cedar Falls. 

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vvolfe1 had an idea a while back, if we could get one of the frequent flyers to make use of their miles. The could  make a run to LA and bring back a couple hundred dollars worth of corals.  But apparently the idea wouldn't fly due security issues and limits on carry on item's.   Aquatic Environments had some good stuff last week, but they were kind of limited this week.  The did have some small clams, I think they were maxima's for $29.99.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 01/27/2008 1:45 PM

Vvolfe1 had an idea a while back, if we could get one of the frequent flyers to make use of their miles. The could  make a run to LA and bring back a couple hundred dollars worth of corals.  But apparently the idea wouldn't fly due security issues and limits on carry on item's.   Aquatic Environments had some good stuff last week, but they were kind of limited this week.  The did have some small clams, I think they were maxima's for $29.99.
    Yeah its a shame one of us doesn't fly around a whole bunch where they would have those miles available. [​IMG]
    Problem is of course getting things home. Packing them in appropriate boxing for normal shipping would probably work, but there is the chance that a package can get lost for multiple days. LAX connects through both ORD and DEN. I expect that flying direct from ORD to LAX and back would work best to avoid connections through Denver or Chicago.
    Billy

7. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could have that frequent flyer find a way to cherry pick, then ship everything to themself overnight air... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif Although I used to get things direct dropped at the Moline airport and never had trouble.

8. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My dad used to go down there and cherry pick from the distributors all the time. He would just drive down, cherry pick a vanload of cool stuff and put it in big garbage cans full of saltwater with those live well airaitors in them. Then he would drive home strait through and half way home he'd stop and do a water change.