1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I think I`ll drill my tank tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 14, 2007.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    For you drilling experts, do you turn your dremel as slow as it will go?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of bit are you using? You don't want to run the diamond bits at a very high rpm, as the metal expands and you can actually lose the diamonds.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I was just going to pick up a couple tile bits

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I usually have my dremel running pretty fast like at 8 out of 10, i figure if the bit lasts me 3-4 holes i got my 10 bucks worth out of it....
    Remember to keep cold water running on it as you cut and you will be fine.  Also, trace the bulkhead with a sharpie and cut on the outside of the line, if you cut the hole too small it can be a real PITA to get it to the right size.
    Happy drilling!

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you have the time to wait for them to ship - I'd recommend ordering some diamond hole saws from eBay...especially if you've got "thicker" glass (not sure what size tank you're doin this with).

As Ryan and I can attest to, drilling 3/8" glass with a dremel SUCKS...but is doable! (took us 2+ hours to drill 2 - 1 1/2" bulkhead holes (about 2" hole) and 1 2" bulkhead hole (2 3/8" hole))

As far as the speed - the bit will usually have a suggested RPM on the package...

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Philby, where you guys using used bits or something? I drilled a 125 a few months ago, it had 3/8" glass and took about 10 minutes.....maybe.

7. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was thinking last night about what would be a good post so i can win those 5 free frags, im not gonna win but i think a good title for a post would be reef tank related tool for loan.
    of course they would only be loaned to girs members or someone whos been around for a long time but just isnt a member.

for instance i have a glass bit for 1-1/2 bulkheads that cost me 6 bucks, i would mail it to someone as long as they were a mermber or someone who has a member speak up for them.

of course nobody is going to loan out their 850.00 miter saw, but a 6 dollar drillbit, no problem.

if you thought you had something you could loan out just post it in there.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Waverz - the bits were brand new - but perhaps we got the wrong ones? or maybe our technique was incorrect??

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hard to say man, i use a lot of water and run the dremel at almost max speed, i drill a hole in the tank first then cut the hole rather than drill it.

10. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Craig don't mess it up or you will have to give me that tang and maybe that angel too!!! If you need help with anything man i am here

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey man if you aren't in a hurry maybe we could do it next saturday at our get together? I know i've never seen it done and would love to.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You know that is a good idea. Maybe I will just drill the 4 for the over flow tomorrow & get the overflow done & we can drill all the reurns on sat night.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We used narrow diamond bits because we weren't sure which tile bit everyone refers to. They took a long, long time.

I have diamond holesaws for bulkheads for 1.5" and less. They work ridiculously well, but nothing near big enough for what philby needed. Got the job done, though.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Here is a link to the ones i use.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188549&G=66357&I=66360

15. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    1 down, 9 to go. Took about 15 minutes or so. Kinda surprised me when the last 1/4 inch broke & it fell in. I am now no longer worried about having a pool table in the same room. The top brace was about 15 inches wide & shaded too much light so I was taking it out. I had to wack it pretty hard several times with a hammer to get it to crack.

16. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Wow! You removed your center brace? Your balls are definitely bigger than mine own!

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am going to add 4 strips of glass back into it. I ordered them 1 inch wide. I think the 15 inches on a 72 inch tank was a little over kill. I hated the shadow it left. Only the front glass will be viewable so I thought about screwing a brace from the back right into the wall.

BTW 1 tile bit will drill about 2 holes b4 it sux

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so we get to view some of the drilling / hole creating at the hangout poker thing?

19. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Ill save1 hole. That takes long enough!

20. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to crack your tank, atleast make it be the one that we are all watching you cut!!!!! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif