1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I need some Harlequin Shrimp!

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Phathead, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have alot of tiny star fish that are brown and also blue.  I recently discovered they are eating my zoo's.  Thanks reeffrreak for the info you were right!  There are  Way to many of them to do the tweezer method.  I know there is enough to feed at least two shrimp I think.  Where can I get one cheap on the net or around CR/IC or does anyone have one they wanna come off of let me know.

2. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SOM N Liberty for you $28

3. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sweet grabing them first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

4. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just be prepared to get rid of him after he has eaten them all. I could not get mine to eat anything else. It seemed tword the end after he had most of them cleared out he started to only eat a few legs off of each one vs. the whole star fish. That way he did not starve himself. But I still felt there were not enough in the tank for him to live so I traded him to Hung.

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bullet - the reason you couldn't get them to eat anything else is because they don't!

Many people buy a starfish for them every week or two if they have them in their tank for long periods. I've ever heard of people keeping the starfish in their sump and cutting off a leg or two at a time and feeding it to the harlequin's. that way the starfish regenerates and you don't have to buy new ones all the time.

6. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At Pets Playhouse a couple months ago they had a harlequin in the same display as a choc. chip star. He was perched right on top of the star livin' it up! I guess if you run out of small stars you could buy a choc. chip, they're not too expensive but I have no idea how fast they get eaten either.

Brian

7. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    a chocalte chip once a month takes atleast a week or two for them to eat it and i have found their personal favorite is chocolate chip

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the harlequin shrimp gave the chocolate chip star it's name. Because it's so tasty!

9. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    mmm, a chocolatechip cookie sounds really good!

10. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I called sea of marvels they wanted 45 apiece for the shrimps. But luckily haung knows me and only charged me 60 for two so steph he must like you alot.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Post some pics of them eating starfish if you get a chance. That would be interesting to see.

12. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it is so cool to see, the way they stab them!

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know Janna used to keep Harley's. She had them for a long time on her counter. They were fed chocolate chip legs... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

14. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Steph1643 on 01/30/2008 9:29 PM
    SOM N Liberty for you $28
    Hung is the man!!!  I get a crack out of him.  He really will hook you up if you are a regular.  I nearly all of my broodstock clown pairs from him.  Anyone know how his black clowns are doing?  Are they 3/4 an inch yet?

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Was just there today, he said 2 more weeks before they are ready.....at least i think that is what he said.

LOL