1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I need a controller who know`s?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a 125 I would like to make a little more user friendly no more drop test kits.  I want to find a controller that will be able to test all of my papameters whether it comes with all the probes or seperatley it doesnt matter.  I would also in the future be able to upgrade it to run in sync with my laptop.  Anyone have any recomendations let me know please.  No price range.

2. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may want to start by browsing the followingt two websites and then start asking more detailed questions from there. They will also work for your heater question quite well I believe.

http://digitalaquatics.com/

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.htm

I think that digital aquatics is coming out with a reefkeeper III that is supposed to be high end, latest and greatest, yada, yada, yada, but I may be off on that. There are tons of people on here who can get into quite detailed responses on these, I'm just not one of them, just window shopping. Hope this helps.

3. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I know its not what you want to hear, but you are never going to get rid of those test kits. The only neccessary, reliable probes out there are Ph,ORP, and Temp. There are a couple very expensive probes out there that are supposed to test Ca, but the general consensus is they are pretty worthless.

However, a controller will make maintaining a tank much easier. No more cheap timers for your lights, you can control your heater and fans/chiller, control most pumps, control Ph if you have a Ca reactor etc.

I have an ACIII and couldnt be happier with it. I can upgrade it from my laptop and I can also monitor my tank from anywhere in the world that has internet access.

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice if a controller could do it all but that's just not the case and I don't see it happening in the immediate future.  Do your research and only buy what you need to start out.  The other accessories will always available and there is rarely a price break to buy it in a $1200 bundle or whatever the cost may be.  When you compare, make sure it's an apples to apples comparison with the powerbars, probes etc.  This site has a comprehensive list of controllers.  It would be a good place to start looking.  Link.  Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    from what i have read only the truly accurate prob is the ph it seems with everyone lately that the temp probes are even bad. but on neptune the have the jr on sale with the dc8 for $225