1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I`m Dumb

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Jan 29, 2009.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, found 2 ich spots on my blue hippo tang today.  Haha, after a trip to Lowes to get some plexi-glass to trap her in a corner of the tank, she's back in QT.  I'm not going to "wait and see" for a week and a half this time.  I guess the move from the QT with my dying powder blue tang without acclimation was too stressful (Yeah, I = moron).  This whole ordeal has been a HUGE headache for me.  I just hope she
    wasn't in the display long enough to re-infect the whole tank, (maybe the UV sterilizer will nuke the free parasite?).  I guess I'll find
    out in a few days /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif  Getting those chromis out again is going to be
    horrible if they get it. Although, the chromis and clowns never got it, and my longnose butterfly fought off the ick before I put him in the month long QT, so hopefully I'm ok.
    A couple lessons learned: 
    Always, always, always, always, QT new fish before you put them in the display.
    Always slow acclimate them back into the display tank. ( I should have known better, but I seem to make really poor decisions when I'm extremely stressed out /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif)
    I'm a little confused about something though.  In my research about ich over the past month while my fish were in QT, I read that once the fish get ich it's always dormant in them and can be reactivated by stress.  So my question is, why do people suggest running the tank fallow for 4 weeks if the fish still carry the parasite?  Is it just to get the level of parasites in the tank down to help lessen the likelihood of another outbreak?  If what I've read is right, stress can cause a relapse for the life of the fish now?

2. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must admit that I am not sure you are seeing ich. When I had an ich outbreak 4 weeks was enough time and I would think you should be fine. Did you dose enough copper in QT? You might try feeding garlic or selcon (sp?) soaked food.

Also sometimes I see spots on my fish that "could" be ike every few months. Then the next day they are gone and they seem fat and happy to me. 2 spots could be sand, bubbles etc. I would keep an eye on my other fish for atleast a a few days before removing them all.

I personally think ich is in most tanks and we just try to keep the parasite at a manageable level. You also have fish that are known to be ich magnets.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I know. They are ich magnets. All of the fish looked great in QT other than the dying powder blue. The blue hippo always hid, but fed whenever I threw food in there. I saw one spot on Weds. night on her and thought nothing of it, but then yesterday there were 2 more in different areas (One on her pectoral fin and one on her cheeck). She's staying in QT another 4 weeks. I'm not taking any chances. Chelated copper was maintained at 1.5ppm, and tested every other day. I did two 25% water changes every week. I really think that it was because I panicked about all of my fish being in QT with the dying powder blue so I didn't correctly acclimate them back into the tank.

4. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    if we have fish for awhile at the store and they are doing good then they will start to look like crap if the bulbs in the uv just start getting to old. how old is your bulb in the uv?

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    About 3 weeks now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I think it's still ok. It's a Current Gamma UV 25w powered by a maxijet 1200. They say to replace the bulb every 8 months.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If this is the case then that means Ich is seriously infecting the tank. Am I missing something? Sounds like these store tnaks need to be treated?

7. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    a uv dont just help on ich, in some fish for instance certain anthias are more know for bacterial to set in. have maybe some popeye or whatever else may arise. you get use to being in a more germ free area and then you go to a place where there is higher bacteria  chances of getting sick are higher.

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm sounds good to me. I took down my UV now. I don't intend to add anything that hasn't been quarantined for quite awhile. I did notice (as many have stated) that the UV seemed to make the water clearer.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've never had a problem with water clarity, just this stupid Ich. So I can't tell a difference between having the UV and not having it.