1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I know better

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tlr, Apr 24, 2008.

1. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I broke the cardinal rule of aquarium keeping and let Aquatic Environments talk me in to buying a chalk basslet for my 10 gal nano.
    I had never looked at them and upon returning I did my research and found that the min tank size recommended is 20 to 30 gal.
    What should I do.
    The only other fish going in this tank is a green clown goby. There is about 10# lr in the tank and plenty of room to swim around.
    I love the lok of the fish but I don't want to be cruel to him either. What do you think???
    And I know I am kicking myself for buying something with out researching it first.

2. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I got several responses over on nano-reef that things should be ok and at this point the little guy is looking happy, well fed and doing well so I am just going to watch things and hope that he does well. I really like the basslet so all seems to be well.
    On another note I noticed that I paid probably twice what I would have online for him at AE and while I would really like to start putting frags in my tank I can't afford their prices for mushrooms and rics. Any other stores in the QC area that I should check out??

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It'd be an easy decision for me.  I'd just go get a 20 long.[​IMG]

4. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunatley the 20L doesn't fit in my office where the tank is located but I am starting to think that my 29 may not get set up for FW after all....hhmmmmm.../site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'd say a the basselet would love a 29.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But honey, he needs the room. You don't want to be cruel do you? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

When judging local prices, remember you have to pay shipping on top of that lower price. Shipping is one of the reasons LFS charge so much, besides their need to pay the everyday bills to keep the store front open. If buying one thing I tend to buy local. If I am restocking or doing a group order I go online as shipping price is spread over many items.

7. tlr

tlr Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I realize that that is true about figuring in shipping and please understand that I am a firm believer that anyone can charge whatever they like. I am the one who paid the money so there is no ill will on my part. My money, my choice. However when I came home and did some research I felt like it was a pretty high price. $10-14 range on internet vs. $27 paid. Again part of why it is important to research what you want. I was just wondering if there were any other places to look.
    Also upon rereading my first post I do think that I owe AE a bit of an apology as I think I made them sound pushy. On the contrary I asked them for suggestions and initiated looking for another fish when I found out that they didn't have the clown goby. I resisted his suggestion as to the basslet several times on the grounds of tank size (as I had previously thought basslets were out of my range) and was continually told that he would be ok. That was where I was initially a little frustrated when I got home.
    Just wanted to clear that part up. I have bought from AE and will likely continue to /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want cheap coral, your best bet is to buy from fellow reefers in your area who have extra coral frags laying around.