1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How to save an SPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Nov 4, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    A while back I picked up some corals from reefninja before he had to ship out. He gave me an acropora which has not done well in my tank which is mostly softies and has nitrates around 15 ppm. It looked like it it was pretty well toast, but now I see on one branch a new growth has started. Would it be best to snip off this branch and start over, as I don't think the rest of the coral is going to come back.
    Thanks!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would leave it for awhile. Let it grow & get some mass

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I second that...allow it to settle in - it obviously likes things the way they are if it started growing.
    -eri

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there any chance of getting those nitrates down? I think that would be a huge leap in the right direction!

5. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've set up a rDSB a few weeks ago to see if I could get nitrates under control. It should start to kick in pretty soon. I was also thinking of doing a biggish water change to give some relief. I run chaeto in my fuge, so we'll see if it starts to come down.