1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How to get rid of dinoflagellates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Posted By mthomp on 06/29/2010 02:54 PM 
    not all symbiotic relationships are good.
    I beleave the deff of a symbiotic relatioship is that it is good for both parties. Otherwise it would be concidered a parasite and a host kind of deal.

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Both are terms that describe a relationship, good or bad, between multiple organisms.
    The term symbiosis (from the Greek: σύν syn "with"; and βίωσις biosis "living") commonly describes close and often long-term interactions between different biological species. The term was first used in 1879 by the German mycologist, Heinrich Anton de Bary, who defined it as: "the living together of unlike organisms".

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis [​IMG]

4. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    which says not all symbiotic relationships are good. i didnt think of going to wikipedia.

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Dude your post is right out of the wikipedia deff word for word. Yea you were right about it not always being good.

6. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081214080514AAGxcHk is where i got my answer. so dude  again i didnt think of going to wiki.

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Ah.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    You think the dinos are actualy liveing in the coral? That's a interesting theroy.

9. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well the other artical i read and i will look it up said that dinos can form a symbiotic relationship with coral. the post i made was a copy and paste from that.

10. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php#1

basically says to keep your ph up and that should help solve the problem. it goes into differant types of dinos and what i posted earlier was just something that caught my eye. but based on that it leads to me to think that they could be hosting in her coral and one of the reasons it transfered from her old tank to her new one.

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Wow you lern something new everyday. Thanks for posting the link.

12. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NP i hope you or someone else finds something, i would sure like to help her get to the root of the problem, along with possibly helping others for when this arises again.

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I hear that dinos suck big time! They make cyano look like a tea party.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Have you checked your RODI TDS output yet. Last time we chatted you mentioned not owning a TDS meter. Your source water could have silicates would be feeding the dinos.

As mentioned in the chat, it silly to start messing with water chemistry and lighting periods before checking the basics first.

15. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 06/30/2010 07:36 PM
    Have you checked your RODI TDS output yet. Last time we chatted you mentioned not owning a TDS meter. Your source water could have silicates would be feeding the dinos.
    As mentioned in the chat, it silly to start messing with water chemistry and lighting periods before checking the basics first.
    +1 if you haven't checked I can bring my hand held tds meater friday and let you borrow it for a week.

16. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They do!!!! :'( I want cyano!

17. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That would be great if you could. As I said the in chat, I had already started the whole process but I can definitely go back and check. The dino's are mostly gone but there are still some left on the sand so I want to do anything I can to keep them from spreading again.

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I'll bring it.

19. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

20. offroadodge

offroadodge Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you may do a search for a product called MARINE SAT, its a micro abcterial that works like a charm. Along with carbon,rowaphaus, and dosing this I have had great results. It doesnt have any harmful chemicals and you cant oevrdose it. I have literally poured a whole 32oz bottle in display at one time. Maybe this will help a little. I know it says its for hair algae but the benefits from using it are amazing.Heres what im talking about--http://afishybusiness.com/Additives_Supplements/Additives_Aquatic_BioControl_TLC/TLC_Marine_SAT_12oz?zenid=tgmkddl72g2t504660h6su1f83