1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

how to get corals to grow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwater2003, Sep 29, 2008.

1. saltwater2003

saltwater2003 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    was wondering how to get corals to grow i have a 90 gallon tank mix of sps lps and soffties 5 power heads 120-150 pounds live rock maybey 2 inch sand bed i have 2-250 watt metal halide 20 k xms with 4- 96 watt pc bulbs i feed my tank  dts cal-alk-mag - i feed a kent trace element . my tnaks been up for over a year with very small groth do i have to much nutrient in my water ? how do i lower it if i do or how do i test for it ? just wondering why my corals wont grow only thing that took off is gsp but not really doing much do i have to much flow? i am running a wavepro- wavemaker
    tank par.
    cal. 480.
    mag.1400ppm
    phos.0.
    nitrite .0.
    nitrate.0.
    ammonia.o.
    alk.9ppm
    ph 8.2

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Are you running an RO unit? If not it would seriously help with any nutrient issues you might be having. I would also say that you might be seeing less growth from your 20k's. I've noticed that after switching from 15k's to 20k's that my growth seems to have slowed quite a bit. Other than that it's kind of a hit and miss game, sps and lps can both grow very slowly depending on the type. If all else fails stop dosing all your additives and go with just the salt mix for a month and see if it makes a difference. HTH Jason

3. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes i use a ro-di i even used 10ks before no groth how can i lower nutrient will that slow down the groth thanks

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Do you feed your coral?

One of the subjects at the frag fest is about feeding your reef. People dont think that corals need to feed but they do.

Fish poop is a good start, how many fish do you have?

5. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    8 fish all i feed is trace elements is thair some thing better to be feeding them ?

6. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh i and i do use a concentrated vitamin & amino acid -supplement from reef plus

7. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should try to get back to the basics and feed your fish instead of dosing vitamins or AA's. Those supplements are for advanced aquarists who already have established tanks. I wouldn't try to rush it too much, just be patient and let your tank come into its own.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Agree with slovan, fish poo makes your coral grow so feed your fish a combination of foods.

Water Changes?

9. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    tanks been up for over a year with no groth frog spawn candy cane nothing grows what should i be feeding them ? as far as the vitamin & amino acid -supplement i see im getting a lot better color in my coral but no groth whats a good coral food to feed coral?

10. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i do a monthy water change 10-15 gal

11. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is Reef Chili worth the 25.00?

12. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to spend $25, get some Rod's food or homemade food from club members. It would feed everything from fish to corals.

13. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, sorry but this is bugging me groth is spelled like this "growth"........ ok, continue on......... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

14. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is what I suggest ....

Make sure the big 3 parameters (Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium) are in balance with each other. This is critical for tank stability and promoting growth.

I would bring down your calcium to about 420ppm and get your alk in balance with it at 9dkh.
    I would also bring the magnesium down to 1280 to 1300ppm.

I would also suggest that you do a weekly water change of 5% of the water...this keeps vital trace elements refreshed and promotes growth also.
    What test kits are you using for the parameters you listed?

If you keep your tank stable at those parameters you will see your growth explode.

eins

15. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i want to feed my corals whats a good food other thanks rods reef

17. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oyster eggs are a good food but DONT over do it.

18. saltwater2003

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im going to stop dts cal alk and mag in my tank makes it go out of wack ill order some foods to day thanks

19. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would make sure that you test for them regularly and try to get them to the the above recommended levels but DO IT SLOWLY...sudden changes in parameters can have devastating effects on corals.

Once the parameters are at good levels, balanced and rock steady I think you will see growth explode. My tank sure did.
    Ask Waverz how his tank responded when he balanced his parameters at the right levels.

Hope that helps,,,,
    eins

20. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By saltwater2003 on 09/29/2008 06:27 PM
    tanks been up for over a year with no groth frog spawn candy cane nothing grows what should i be feeding them ? as far as the vitamin & amino acid -supplement i see im getting a lot better color in my coral but no groth whats a good coral food to feed coral?
    I have the same questions asked above...  I get growth just want to know whats best to feed them.