1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How to cut a Toadstool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I recently picked up a Toadstool that's mounted on a frag disk with post. I'd like to cut the Toadstool off of the disk, or maybe cut off the post...any suggestions how to do that without hurting the Toadstool?

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    what color toad stool is it? and you should be able to take a pair of angle cutters and cut the post off. Some toad stools don't do well with cutting or moving.

3. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Green

4. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    what are the disks/posts made of? I tried to break it with a pliers...but that didn't work

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This was what I watched when I thought I was going to frag mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf_86twRkg

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've always been too chicken. IME Leathers get infections really easy if they have exposed tissue from cuts/tears. They also are somewhat of a pain to mount, I would just leave it on there and break off the end.

7. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By taavis on 06/04/2009 04:26 PM
    This was what I watched when I thought I was going to frag mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf_86twRkg [style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f5f5f5"]well...that scissor-action was downright barbaric...suppose it works though ...but, maybe I'll try to cut the post again...I'll try the angle cutters this time[/style]

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    just use a pair of strong wire cutters or if you have a pair of bone cutters.  I usally just cut it off with a sharp pair of sissors.

9. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah...I was being too timid. The post broke clean off with some tin snips. Thanks for the help !!

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    that scissor video is fun....be alot more fun if it was realistic, the cutting i can see, the one week attachment time...not so much, and they conveiniently forgot to mention the dead loss. I've never cut a leather more than once at a time and it took a good twp to three weeks to heal and attach

11. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    After cutting the post, I glued the disk down where I wanted it. But, I had to take it out of the water to cut it...so, the stool is still a bit 'freaked'...it hasn't opened up yet...hopefully it won't take 2 to 3 weeks to get over it...lol

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I agree, I think it would take a week just for the polyps to come back out, and then another couple weeks to attach to anything.