1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How to contain jumping fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Dec 22, 2008.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have a few jumpers. I have a canopy over my tank, it fits snug on top. But the fish can still leap into my overflows or out the back of the tank.

What do people use to contain jumping fish?

Thanks

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Buy a piece or two of acrylic at Menards and fit it horizontal with the back of the tank and the canopy. You can work with it easily to cut out areas for your overflow and wires if needed.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fiberglass window screen or egg crate.  Make sure the window screen is not the mold resistance treated kind.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of setup do you have? Lighting? corals? I would probably just cut out a piece of egg crate.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well for my jawfish tank, I used white eggcrate and covered it with fiberglass screen and used that to cover my tank top. I also have a canopy with an exposed back but I didn't want to tank any chances. There is some reduction in lighting but I don't know how to measure it.
    I considered eggcrate only, but the fish are small enough to jump through the eggcrate holes. I tied the fiberglass screen to the eggcrate using fishing line. I also cut a small square opening in the front of the eggcrate but left the screen flap so I had a way to feed the fish without removing the canopy and eggcrate.