1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How to avoid dead spots in tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    A while back I took some extra base rock I have and added it to my 75 gallon softie tank. The problem I created though is that with LR up close to the back of the tank it has created a dead area in the middle of the tank. I would like to avoid tons of powerheads everywhere, and I don't want so much flow that it bothers the corals. For those that have a lot of rock in their tank, how do you avoid dead spots?
    I thought of rigging up a sort of closed loop set up. I thought I could take a piece of pvc and put a maxi-jet at each end. I could hang it just below the surface at the back of the tank, and with the 2 maxi jets I could get nearly 600 gph without having to plumb an external pump.
    What's working for others?

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I will save you alot of money....that tube idea won't work. I tried it with 2 mag 9's once and it's a waste of effort. Realistically it's way to many 90's and corners, you loose far to much head pressure to make it work. If your really looking to get more flow with a minimum amount of pumps you might want to look into getting some hydor korallia pumps maybe two 4's and two 3's would be enough for a 75 softie tank. The think you have to remember is corals are use to ocean currents, if it's random flow you can never have enough. It may take the corals a few days to get use to it but I'm sure it won't hurt them. hth Jason

3. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i added two korila 4s to my 90 a few months back and that did the trick. my corals looked good before and after they looked great.the tank really took off after adding them!!!