1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How much light is too much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trevor0015, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I currently have a 120 (4x2x2) aquarium that I am adding new lights too... I am putting two 400 watt MHs xm 20k bulbs with two 120 watt super actinics thanks to AJ... I am doing a sps tank and would like some nice growth and good color (I realize that lighting isn't the only thing that grows corals but good lighting could only help) I am thinking about adding my two 250 watt MH 10ks to the mix...  1540 watts over a 120 sps tank way too much? I am not worried about the electricity cost, its kind of hard to worry about  that in this hobby...Also I have heard about whats prefered for watts per gallon in your display but don't know much about that... Also Ive heard that no one should go by that... Let me know what you recommend me to do... Thanks
    Trevor

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The dual 400 MH and dual 110 actinics is a pretty popular config for 120 tanks. I would not go more than that. Too much light and you bleach your corals.

--AJ

3. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For sure AJ I am new to lighting and just wasn't sure...

Trevor

4. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Yes, the lighting sounds fine. You want to slowly acclimate your tankmates and be careful not to promote any bleaching. The MH will put out a lot of heat so you will want to monitor your temp too.