1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

how many actinics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jul 19, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm working on setting up my 120 still and was wondering how many actinics should i have?  i have 48" vho with water proof endcaps and well with the current hood they wont quite fit so thought about going with the 46.5" and going T5 so i can get the ati procolor bulbs and such and better options but was wondering if 2 of them would be ok and if i HAD to use the waterproof endcaps?  will be using an IceCap 660.

2. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There area many great threads on RC about this. Most people are using the ATI blue +. The problem with true actinics is that although they are good for color, you loose par or the quality of light reaching the corals. I just put four bulbs in from ice cap on a 660 ballast. Its way to white and even a little yellow. I need to swap out a couple for some more blue.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Too bad you can't make the VHOs work; I would love to have them but my fixture came with T5s. If you are going T5s, I agree with jwess and go with 4 bulbs. Your MH bulb should get you close to the color you want while the 4) T5s will help you tweak the colors to get what you are looking for.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i think i could get the VHO's to work if i didn't use waterproof endcaps. i might have to play with it some more, maybe see if i cant get them in there at an angle haha cause i got 2 brand new actinic white and blue bulbs for it haha