1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How long of a cycle might I expect??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Jul 24, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping to have the new tank (210)  filled with sand and water in the next week.  I'm buying sand from a BNARC member that just tore down his 125 and I've been cooking my Pukani rock for about a month now in my old water each week (from my weekly tank water changes.)   My question is, how long of a cycle do you think I might expect?  I'll be putting rock from my existing tank into the larger one after the cycle too but not until it's safe.  I have too many critters in and on my rock that I'd like to preserve (feathers, peanut worms, bristle worms, etc.)
    Another question is that I plan on lightly washing the sand before I transfer into my tank.  Would you use RO/DI or salt water for that?   The tank is only being emptied before I get there and won't have sat in containers long.
    Thanks for the input!

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Robyn, i would definitely rinse the sand in tank water first and rinse it throughly, the idea of using someone else's sand sounds good in theory but you could be adding a TON of nutrients to your tank as well. If it were me and i were starting over i would buy new sand and just use a few scoops of some live sand to seed it. JMO of course, it just reminds me of when i tore down my 24 gallon the sand was so foul, i was surprised that there was anything alive in my tank at all, let alone growing and thriving.

I would be interested in other ppls opinions on this but i would say at the minimum give it a good rinsing in tank water until it rinses clean.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm, maybe I should rethink the idea of using that sand then? 
    Maybe I'll check out the Drs and see what they sell.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I dunno, like i said that was just my opinion, it could be totally fine, but why risk it? At least with new sand you know you are starting clean and pest free.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funny thing Jeremy, I think I gave similar advice to the person asking about digging sand from the ocean.  You are absolutely right with your advice and sometimes it takes hearing it from someone else.  I'm glad you saved me future headaches because I would forever wonder what I added when I added that sand if I would have problems in the future.
    I really want a sandbed so this is going to be yet another expense (sigh.....) yet I wasn't looking forward to dealing with potentially yucky sand. 
    I'm glad I asked and I thank you for an honest answer.  I needed that!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't think twice about adding sand from another tank if you have the luxury of time to let it cycle. It's also ironic that you're worried about polychaete worms when they and cockroaches will be the only things to survive a worldwide calamity!

I would personally use no sand, but if you want sand I would wash it in the manner you had planned, put it in the tank, aquascape, and let it all sit and cycle before adding the sensitive livestock.

One thing you didn't mention was how deep a sand bed it was and how deep a sand bed it is going to be.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how long that sand was in that persons tank but I decided that it was silly to risk adding bunches of nitrates, etc when in the long run I could order new live sand for a little more than buying the sand and the gas to get it here.  So I again visited my fav online store (Drs F & S) and for 12.00 shipping I have 120 lbs of sand coming my way.  I hope for about a 2" bed but we'll see how far this goes.  I know that most of you prefer BB but I like the looks of sand and have a Diamond Goby and hope to add a goby/pistal shrimp combo in time.  I just got my Tunze 6100's (x3, used from RC) and it will be interesting to see what problems I have with sand moving around but only time will tell.
     Damn, this build is getting more expensive by the day! 

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good choice on going new.

I, too, like the look of sand but it's really hard to go back after seeing just how much gunk accumulates that would otherwise end up mixed up in the sandbed.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Idea on the new sand. I bought my 90 as a complete set up and had to take out all the sand for transport. It took a good 8 weeks to cycle. If I was to do that again I think it would cost me as much in water to rinse the old sand as to buy new sand. I do like the idea of a cup or two of live sand to seed it, then again all the corals you stock the new tank with will also seed the sand bed with bacteria. I'd used the sand from your 90. At least then you know what was in it to start.
    BTW it is a type of scorpion fish

10. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New sand is the way to go. I was going to try reusing sand once, and after months of rinsing I still couldn't get the foul odor out of it. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on our tanks, so what's another couple hundred bucks to have no worries.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So true guys.  Thanks again on the input.  I'm sure that buying new sand was the "smart" way to go.

12. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good choice Robyn. I have seen several tank fight nitrates long term when they used old sand.

13. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nutrients and phosphate can be bound in sand so all the rinsing cant release it....only time can, and it will be in your tank as that would be happening.

Good call on the new sand!

eins

14. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bill,
    I was wondering if any of the Zeo supplies that I have would be good to get the cycle going once I have water in the tank.  What do you think?

15. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 07/28/2008 10:01 AM
    Nutrients and phosphate can be bound in sand so all the rinsing cant release it....only time can, and it will be in your tank as that would be happening.
    Good call on the new sand!
    eins
    I'd have to agree with this.  So the best thing to do with an old sand bed is to rinse it a few times.  After all the salt is gone mix it into the soil and grow some plants. [​IMG]