1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How long does it take for clowns to pair up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I purchased a "mate" for my orange skunk clown yesterday from SOM....... so far they're not getting along /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif  The original clown will swim away from his anemone and swim with the new clown for a bit, but when the newbie tries to come on down to the anemone, the old clown gets really pissed off.  The original clown used to have a mate according to the person who owned him before me, but the mate died.  The new clown is smaller than the old clown, so I was hoping it was a male for sure, in case the one I already owned was female.  Any thoughts?  I had a pair of perculas before, and they paired off almost immediately, if my memory serves me right.

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If the new clown is under an inch and was kept with other clowns, I would say wait it out. If there is any real chasing or fin damage seperate them immeadiatly. Clowns will take some time to pair off. A positive sign is the smaller clown doing the submissive shake when the larger clown charges. The submissive shake looks like a siezure where the smaller clown will flop on its side and shake exposing its gills and belly to the attacking clown. If the smaller clown continues to fight, they may both be female or at least too bull headed to pair. Just as a fun note, the maroon clown male actually will kiss the female on the cheek spine when doing his submissive dance. Kinda cute.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, well the smaller one was doing the shimmy thing, I just had no idea what he was doing. The smaller clown is about an inch too. The new clown is "schooling" with the chromis for the time being, sorta funny. Hopefully, they'll pair up at some point /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif