1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How far above the water do you keep your halides?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious about this........ seems eveyone has an opinion on this /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  I have mine maybe 17" or so above my 75g, maybe they could be closer?  I don't have any problem with the water over heating and I'm getting good growth.

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    17" is pretty high. I believe most people have them down in the 6"-10" range to maximize the PAR output of the bulbs. If you are getting the desired color and growth, I would leave it. Otherwise you could experiment by lowering it slowly to see if you notice any difference.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to try lowering the lights then a bit and see what happens...... how soon and how far down should I go? I was thinking maybe a few inches, then wait a week, then a few more inches so as not to shock anything with the increased light and also to see how the temp. goes.....

4. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think a couple of inches a week would be ok. To be honest, I have never really bought into it and have always put my lights where I want them from the start. Seems how it's not my tank, I wouldn't recommend doing it. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

FWIW, I keep my lights 8" above the surface of the water.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I keep mine at about 10", but my opinion is that unless you are running a fog machine in the same room as your tank, then the height of the halides isn't going to make a tremendous difference. In fact, I think you could argue that mounting them higher should reduce the number distance the light has to travel through the water (where impurities might effect the light) due to the angles involved.
    I do think adjusting the height is a good way to control temp swings though.
    Again, this is my opinion and I'm sure it's not shared by the masses.
    -JB

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine are about 20" above the water.

I have the Lumenbrite reflectors which are so efficient that I can have them so high and still get great light.
    Most generally people who see my tank and then see how high the lights are, cant believe I get away with them so high.
    eins

7. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use 2 175w MH and there only 5" from water my temp changes about .5 degress. The down falls Ive seen from it so far is the angle of light is really small so it doesnt cover the entire tank like it should, and water evap is huge. Im currently working on a new canopy that is 8" from water with 3 250 MH. I didnt intend to use the short distance from water I just didnt have the time to build a new one and I didnt see a big problem from it. Just thought I throw my experience out there hope it helps.

8. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got two 400's and they are 6 inches from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the water. And I run mine in a closed hood. Use fans in my sump and refugium to keep the heat under control. Took some tinkering but seems to work. I usually vary 1 degree in 24 hours.

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 01/31/2008 2:45 PM
    Mine are about 20" above the water.
    I have the Lumenbrite reflectors which are so efficient that I can have them so high and still get great light.
    Most generally people who see my tank and then see how high the lights are, cant believe I get away with them so high.
    eins
    Eins, don't you have 2) 400W MH on a 120?

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I run 2x400w MH XM20k's
    Tank is a 120

eins

11. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    have you guys that have your lights so far up above the norm ever used a light meter on your tank?.

just wondering.

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, but I figure the proofs in the pudding /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif I get good growth, I'm just wondering if I can do better. I'm going to lower them a bit and see what happens, but I don't think I'll keep them too close to the water level.