1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How do you guys take it?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Travis, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I made the rounds today of the local saltwater shops, Not a fun or long trip to say the least...  Is there any reason to head back to Waterloo on a Wednesday after a truck gets there or are you guys just cleaning them out of their livestock that quickly?  If this is typical I see a few big online orders headed to the Independence area in the next few months and you are all more than welcome to tag along.

2. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Youre definately right on that one.  Pretty slim pickins around here.  I usually go to the Petco on Tuesday nights and see there order list and try to get there when the truck does on Wed.  They get some pretty good stuff now and then if you get it before it gets tainted in there display tanks.  I only live a few blocks from Emporium but I cant stand going there anymore.  Usually i make road trips with a few other guys from work down to CR and Coralville. 
    Josh

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I usually order most of mine online, which has its advantages and disadvantages, usually around tax time.....

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Ya it all sux here. I did see a wrasse I like at emporium that was 5 bux cheaper then online. Their frozen cyclopeeze is cheap too.
    The Petco tanks are infected with disease pretty bad so QT anything you get there!

Now you know why we ***** all the time.

Welcome to the area BTW

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't even consider any place around here "worthy of my business". I would rather drive to CR or order online. I have only been in this hobby a few years and I just can't for the life of me figure out why some of these stores around here don't even bother cleaning the front of the glass, let alone taking care of the livestock. I know the market is tough around here, but come on! If you are going to sell saltwater stuff at least do it with some dignity. I have seen nicer livestock and tanks at Wal-Mart for peats sake.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    maybe for now you should just take the clowns and wait it out for a bit till its warmer and get a group order together for a livestock order... i havent seen a group livestock order for a little while...

otherwise, id probably just go to CR or something.

7. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'll be ordering stuff the middle of next month, no sure from where yet but I can let you know

8. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I am in no rush to restock this thing, but keep me in mind Jason. I just happened to be cruising around Waterloo and thought I would check out the local shops. As for the clowns I would like to wait a little longer, but if you are in need of space I can definatly take them off your hands.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i can keep em for as long as you need man. no rush.

if anything ill need more time to raise more money for the lighting (itd be even better if you wanted to just use them until i get all the money again - i spent some it on other tank stuff..heh)

10. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jason, I may be in for an order next month, I wat to get a blenny, What are your favorite ones??

11. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Usually I just order corals but if I happen to order from a place that has fish feel free to hop on the order. I've ordered from a couple places in the past those being, Fosters and Smith, Reefer Maddness, and quite a few private reef keepers. I wouldn't look for anything to be ordered from reefer maddness as the one and only order I placed with them turned out to be a bunch of crap in a box. I've been looking at fragframer and ultimate frags if anyone wants to look things over.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Ive been wanting to try something out of the divers den

13. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can't go wrong with pretty much any blenny. I really enjoyed our yellow watchman that was nearly 7 years in our possession, until the move...