1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How do i get my octo 150 tuned in?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Mar 21, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I just got a octo 150 in trade from johnathon sprague and it looks like it is going to be a great skimmer but i can't get it to adjust right. The adjustment pipe is all the way down and it is still filling up the cup in under a minute. Help please!
    Thanks
    -Bill

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's the water height in your sump?

3. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just talked to bill on the phone, and hes got it going now.  By the way- he has great frags.  They are well encrusted and pretty good size.  He is planning on selling at the frag swap, so definately check it out.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I spoke to soon on the phone john i have the adjustment pipe all the way down and it is still over flowing like crazy.Water level is 10 inches.

5. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Bill, I think I goofed and told you opposite. You need to raise the tube in order to lower the water level.

6. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A good starting point on the water level would be right above the bottom lip on the black cone and then just keep an eye on it and make small adjustments to tune it in.  I would probably leave it a little on the low side overnight so you don't overflow the collection cup, and tune it up higher when you can keep an eye on it.

7. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually thinking more on it I think you do lower the riser tube to lower the water level in the skimmer.   Make sure the air intake tube or black silencer on the end is not restricted.  If that isn't it raise it a little in your sump.  I had it in a sump with 9" of water and it worked great.  I would think that 10" would still be fine, but maybe try setting it on a couple layers of eggcrate or something to bring it to a 9" water level. 

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I got it figured out wierd thing is that it needed less water. I made a egg crate platform and raised it up 4 inches now it is in about 6 inches of water and working well.

-Bill

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most skimmers should sit in 5-8" of water. Increasing the riser height increases the in skimmer volume. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif