1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

How did you hear about GIRS?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JB, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rmclaughlin

Atkins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I just stumbled on GIRS when trying to find coral for sale locally.

2. Jovita79 New User

Colona, IL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hi!

I've been asked several times by two local Reef LFS to join. Coral Haven, here in Bettendorf (where I work), finally got me to join and I'm so glad I did! Soon I will be a paying dues member. I have two reef tanks: one 5 gal nano on my desk at work with frags from my big tank and 4 sexy shrimp, and, one 50 gal with lots of LPS and softies. I just upgraded from a 30 gal breeder about a month ago. It has a long way to go before I get my coralline algea and coral spread/Portals/0/userfiles/2066/My%2050%20gal%20reef/50%20gal%20salt2.jpg on the new live rock, but as we all know, it just takes time. I have one percula, clarki, tomato, (believe it or not, they all get along wonderfully), one electric blue damsel, and a neon yellow and pink bassalet. Attached is a picture of my tank. It's not the most recent as I've added a very large colt coral for my clarki clown, but it shows all my other corals. Can't wait to start adding some more exotics at the swaps! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Sincerely,

Jovita Anne Martin

3. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0

I was at Iowa Pet Food and Seascapes sometime during the week prior to the recent Spring Fest. I was asking lots of questions to the employee who was working when a GIRS member came in. He joined our conversation and before I left, he told me about the upcomming Spring Fest that weekend. I looked it up online later that day and joined the club.

4. ShawnD

ShawnD

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I heard about you through coral haven in davenport.

5. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I was turned onto GIRS by... Jason... if I remember in cr after I bought a lighting fixture from him. I am really bad with names... I am pretty sure it was with a j...
    Before that I was a member of the san diego reef club for... 17 years...? Long before the interwebs was used when we had mailers and newsnletters!

6. new2salt

Mingo
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I joined due to Pete h from pleasant hill. I was buying stuff off of him and he asked if I'd ever heard about GIRS. I pondered it for about six months met lot's of helpful people so I joined to support a cause I love.

7. Mike-1

Mike-1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iowa Petfoods and Seascapes Des Moines

8. nate.johnson.86

nate.johnson.86 New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The guy at the anemone place by waterloo gave me a card. Is that place clos err d for good now? I live in eldora and that was about the closest marine supply.

9. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You need to call to set up a time to meet, but Craig is still doing business. Lots of nice corals, I was over there a couple weeks ago. Just send a PM to xroads.

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Hey all, name's Bruce, that's my bud Riley for my Avitar. Had seen this organization while just looking for info on the subject on the net. I subscribe to Mark Callahans website and when I saw he was coming,(and about Fall Fest just 10 minutes from my house) I joined. I've had FW tanks for about 25 yrs and just started a SW tank a couple years ago. My main tank is a 90G rectangle and I've just started to start putting corals in about 9 months ago....mostly sps along with a hammer, Duncan, mushrooms, candy cane, and a frogspawn. Last winter I had my Bangaii Cardinals spawn so I set up a nursery in the basement and raised a brood of babies. Look forward to meeting all and talkin salty with you at the show.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Welcome to the club!!

12. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

13. Joe GIRS Member

Southeast Iowa
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I hear about GIRS from a posting at our LFS that are region was trying to start up. That was two years ago and have been glad that I joined ever since.

14. epatters05

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was referred by a member who has recently gotten out of the hobby.

15. snielsen

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Someone on Facebook reached out to me and told me about you guys. I even went to fall fest and signed up. Lot of great people on here!

16. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Before I even got into the hobby, was window shopping for say at seascapes. I was looking at their live rock and asked the price to get a 75 gallon started. After figuring out how much a 100lbs in a fish store would cost me I lost my mind. I randomly starting BSing with another customer in the store and he told me he picked up 100 lbs for $50 on here. I ended up checking the sight out and found reasonable priced live rock from Donny AKA:Armydog. I was hooked to the sight and the hobby from that point forward. *Thanks again Donny for assisting me with getting started.

17. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Seascapes in ?? - think they were one of the primary sponsors at that year's fest.

18. leymas

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    Did a google search for Iowa aquarium clubs.

19. NotCptJackSparrow New User

Plainfield
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I heard about GIRS by going to Fall Fest with several customers and and now friends I met through working at Petco in Aquatics. I found I enjoyed saltwater so much I had to have my own tank.

20. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I heard about GIRS at my local fish store.