1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hot Ballast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Jan 9, 2008.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have yet another problem to solve. I have 2 actinic bulbs and a ballast mounted in my canopy along with my 2 metal halides. The problem I'm having is my halides are heating up the ballast for my actinics and they keep shuting off.
    Has anyone ever have this problem? I'm kind of stumped on what to do. I thought about mounting my ballast on the outside of the canopy but then I would have to cut my wires and rerun everything. Pluse it oul look like crap on the outside of the canpy with all of those wires hang out.
    If anybody has any ideas please shoot them at me cause I'm not sure what to do.
      Thanks.

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have fans on your ballasts to move the air out of the canopy?

3. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya I have 2 fans on a timer.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would relocate it out of the canopy, just get some of that black plastic wire holder stuff if you are worried about the looks. The actinics are turning off by themselves w/o being plugged into the x10's now???

You really shouldn't have the ballast in there anyway, i do because i've got a huge canopy, yours is a lot smaller and probably pretty hot and humid. If that don;t work let me know, i have a few other ballasts laying around you can have.