1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

hope for the best but smells worse

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by jwess, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

After a few days of RO drip, I finally got water in my tank.  I got it up to temp and added salt today.  I also added the sand from the old tank(after a few hrs of mixing of course).  I had it in a big storage container with a pump and heater.  Man did it smell.  Anyway it clouded up the tank something fierce.  I thought it might be clear by the time I got off work tonight but no dice.  Ill hope for something good in the morning.  I planned on aquascaping  tommorow but that wont work if I cant see through the tank.  I might have a canister filter I can throw on for a while to try to clear things up a bit. 
    Josh

2. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you might want to do a water change too. One of my friends just had a smelly new tank with rock in it and it cleared up over a weekend.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Get your skimmer going, also put some carbon in your canister filter & run that

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    IMO, your gonna be fighting that stuff for awhile, just think if all the dead stuff in there that has to break down and how much algae it's going to feed. In theory, thats gonna take quite a long time.

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i had that problem when i set my tank up with sand from an old one. it cleared up in a couple days. but having the skimmer going i think helped alot, it pulled alot of that stuff out.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure the skimmer pulled out lots of the physical stuffbut it's not going to pull the phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia out of the dead decaying matter in the sand. If it were me I would just get new sand.

Good luck Josh, sorry to say but thats a rough way to start a new tank.

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Suck it out and call it a wash. Your going to fight so many things down the road it's not even worth the effort. You'll have more money in carbon, gfo and ro membrains fighting the hair algae.....get some new sand and save yourself the fight...it is a long one....best of luck Jason

8. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Ive been running carbon from a canister filter for most of the day. I also put in the rest of my rock that didnt have any coral on it. Its actually starting to clear up better now. I would like to run it through the sump but that's were im storing the rest of my inhabitants. Everything is plumbed in so I just have to hook up the return pump and im in business. Well see what tomorow morning brings.

9. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoo Hooo, all clear this morning. Ill run some tests on it and hopefully start it running through the sump today.

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Sweet, expect a cycle so you may want to do some heavy water changes over the next few weeks

11. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got everything tested and nitrates, nitrites, and amonia tested near or at zero. Got everything transfered over and it looks good. Ive got a Koralia #4 and it really puts out some good flow. Some of my softies are hating life righ now. I also made a rock rack out of pvc and egg crate. I may have made it too big and believe it or not I almost ran out of room trying to get just the right look. Ive got to get some pictures on here.

12. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds good

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Better get a good clean up crew, a dollar says hair algae is gonna be popping up real soon.

Dead rotting sand = Algae Food

If I'm wrong on this I'll gladly give ya a dollar off a frag.

14. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So anyway, if I order for the group buy for the 28. I pay on the site but it will ship to CR for the meeting. I have to work but will try to get it off. Whats the last date to order?

15. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Josh, details on the group buy will be coming soon. We have decided to wait a few more days before we start it so they can get re-stocked.

16. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    also jeremy will proby be getting the order at his place so u could pick stuff up from him or I could gap your stuff and u could get it from me after your shift

17. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The order will be shipped to someone in CR so I don't have to sit here all day saturday and wait for the mail to get here.

18. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    o i just said that cuz I thought they only shipped on Mon and Wednesdays  But are they shipping on a different day just for us