1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Holy Crap salinity rose to over .030

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jwess, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed my favorite green stag was starting to RTN.  I went down to the basement fish room and found that my airline hose blew off from my top off pump.  My tank had not been topping off for a while and the water level in the sump was pretty low.  I checked the water with my hydrometer and the salinity was over .030.  I hooked up my RO to the top off sensor so hopefully that should gradually bring it back to normal levels.  What a couple of sucky days.  I bought five chromis down in CR this weekend only to bring them home and have my PB kick them all out of the tank.  Now Ive lost a green stag and most likely a green digi also.  All the LPS, green cap, red cap and two other SPS seem to be Ok for now.  Hopefully I can bring everything back to normal without any more harm.
    Josh

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ouch, that sucks. Hopefully with the gradual changes everything that's still ok will pull through no problem.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the other noobs that didn't know what RTN is, an explanation is here http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/eb_jl_111598.html

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That really sucks /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif Sorry about your coral loss. That's partially the reason why I use a gravity fed ATO, but that's probably not feasible on a basement fed system.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not?  As long as your RO/DI storage tank is higher than your sump, you should be fine, right?  Speaking of gravity fed auto-top off, do you use a mechanical float valve to control your ATO or a selenoid connected to a float switch?

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was lazy and bought a level-loc. It has both a solenoid and a mechanical float valve. It's a pretty nice system, and for $100 it's not all that expensive. As far as gravity feeding from the basement, I know some people just don't have the room if their display tank is upstairs so pumping it up there is the only option.

7. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Josh,

I hope it's looking better!

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Everything looking better?  Hope so!

I used to run the uber-simple auto top-off:

RO/DI directly fed an old salt bucket though a float valve.  This bucket sat next to the sump (Rubbermaid stock tank) and fed it through a second float valve in the sump.
    Cheap, easy, and as long as the float valves were fine fail proof.  This also allowed me to dose as I would put a tablespoon of kalk in the bucket every week.