1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HOLY COW!! Clown hosting to xenia!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kylie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yay! This is my first ever reef tank and I have a pair of clowns in a 20g Long with only pulsing xenias and kenya trees so far. I came home from class this morning to find my female hosting to the xenia right next to my desk! I'm so proud! They are both captive bred fish and in such a small tank w/o any stinging corals I didn't think this was possible but YAY!!! I'm so excited!!
    Haha, had to share the warm fuzzies!
    I'm working on getting some pictures uploaded soon :)
    Kylie

2. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't get photobucket to work so I uploaded some pictures onto my account here! Here is the link to my photos http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/users/kylie-day/photos#showtab=photos|asview=asimages|params=23

Hope you like them!

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Thats pretty cool. Now hopefully they will lay eggs for you & then you will really be excited.

Nice looking pair of fish & nice tank

4. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be awesome but I'm not sure if they will. Bennie has tried to court with Cora ever since they met. Cora even did the jiggle dance back for a while but no signs of any eggs. For a while they had a smooth rock cleaned off that they gaurded but never laid any eggs.

Thanks for the nice comments!

5. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah, pretty fun to watch...mine host in xenia also. no eggs here either.

6. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious now.. once I get them upgraded to the 40g and that has matured enough to house an anemone, do you think she will switch to hosting to the anemone or stick with the xenias? I guess if she's not going to switch to the anemone, I wouldn't want to risk owning one.. I've been told many horror stories about them.

7. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Clowns will host all sorts of things. They could end up hosting the anemone but you really never know. Mine started hosting frogspawn and now hosts my open brain.

8. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well.. I guess I'll just have to see when the time comes. I wouldn't want to get an anemone until I was at least settled into my jr/sr college apartment. At least then I won't have to move the tank every winter and summer. So, does anybody know any good fish stores around Iowa? I've been to coralville bay in iowa city, sea of marvels in north liberty, aquatic environments in davenport, and pets playhouse in cedar rapids. Any other suggestions? Always open to visiting a new store!

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Fish Shack in Manchester is the only other one that I can think of...aside from the chains like PetCo and Petland. There is a directory of pet stores on the Resources tab above with maps and contact information.

--AJ

10. Diesel Powered

Diesel Powered Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Wet Pet Outlet in Eldora is a nice store. Local owners that are very knowledgable and willing to help.
    Also, nice tank pics.

11. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i had an anenome that ate my fire shrimp, then my brittle star fish tried to eat my anenome, it was wierd :) and i fed the anenome everyday a nice piece of dried krill