1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hofer Gurgle buster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, May 16, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Well the new seahorse tank in the bedroom has been makeing some serious noise. Major gurgle and an occasional flush. So I started looking around reef central DIY and found this http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertso...ction.html
    This thing is no joke! It only cost me about $2 to make I already had the 1in pvc and around ten minutes to put together. It works so good that tomorrow I am going to make 2 more for my other tanks. So if you have a noisey overflow this is a realy cool and effective solution.

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there's this, the stockman, etc.
    Amazing what people can create with a little ingenuity!
    -Eric

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I'm sure some people have seen this before but some haven't it is for the ones that haven't that I posted this very useful info.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They've had the same thing on one of the DIY standpipe sites for a while. I made one for our office tank and it really quieted it down.

Anyone who has an external overflow should definitely make one of those...

-JB

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I have been In my bedroom reading for the last hour and now am back in the livening room and it sounds like niagara falls in here compared to the tank in my bedroom. I can't wait to make two more of these bad boys tomorrow!

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 05/16/2009 07:32 PM
    They've had the same thing on one of the DIY standpipe sites for a while. I made one for our office tank and it really quieted it down.
    Anyone who has an external overflow should definitely make one of those...
    -JB
    I have my own variation on my DIY internal overflow - still need to tweak a few things - the center cap is drilled w/air line tubing in the finished product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trickling noise @ the end is from the return into the test bucket, pumping +/- 700 gph in this vid (pump is 800 gph, 1' return)

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    ^ LOL somehow I just knew you would not be able to resist throwing that out there. I saw yours on reef central a while back.Sounds like yours is makeing quite a bit of noise still. The hofer is totaly silent when tuned in.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    The noise I'm getting is more of a surging in the sump - I haven't messed w/the plumbing since I set it up March 5th...but I keep meaning to...
    Before I added the airline, my wife complained about the noise...upstairs!
    -Eric

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    LOL Just giveing you a little crap man could not resist. I realy like yours did adding the airline make it silent?

10. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bill on 05/16/2009 10:29 PM
    ^ LOL somehow I just knew you would not be able to resist throwing that out there. I saw yours on reef central a while back.Sounds like yours is makeing quite a bit of noise still. The hofer is totaly silent when tuned in.
    I researched the hofer and would have done it with an external overflow, I didn't have room to duplicate it so I made a variation.  I also have another variation of a stockman for the pipe on the back of the tank and a reverse stockman in the sump.
    It does produce more noise than I'd like and will probably start messing with it again.
    Unfortunately, when Hung drilled my tank his drill press wouldn't allow him to go as low as I wanted, and as such it won't be easy to change overflows as I'll need to go about 20-30 gallons down for a switch.
    I din't want to go with a reef-ready tank or an external overflow, so this is the price I'm paying.
    -Eric

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bill on 05/16/2009 10:44 PM
    LOL Just giveing you a little crap man could not resist. I realy like yours did adding the airline make it silent? Airline made it nearly silent, still have a surging that I need to work on.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome Eric. I'm definitely going to use that design if I add an another tank to my system.

-JB

13. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 05/17/2009 07:16 AM
    That's awesome Eric. I'm definitely going to use that design if I add an another tank to my system.
    -JB
    I thought it was a decent design (my wife was impressed [​IMG])!
    It still isn't as quiet as I'd like, and there's more flushing that when I initially tested it - actually, the sound when I first fired up the tank was almost unbearable - that was before adding the airline tubing.
    Here's the strange part - when I was tesing it, I had it mocked up in a bucket while I designed it.  It was fairly quiet, and I was pushing +/- 700 gph through it.
    In the tank, it's noisy and like I mentioned unbearable without the airline tubing - I'm only running +/- 420 gph.  I just ASSumed before that if it was okay w/700 gph, then it'd be better w/420 gph.
    My master plan was to set the tank up in the garage and tweak the plumbing before the final install - I ended up being rushed and didn't do that - hindsight is always 20/20.  I do need to do a build thread here and document everything.
    *****Didn't mean to hijack your thread Bill*****

-Eric

14. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Posted By llebcire on 05/17/2009 09:45 AM

*****Didn't mean to hijack your thread Bill*****

-Eric It's cool just be sure and let us all know when you get the bugs worked out of your design. [​IMG]

15. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Made two more today for my tanks in the livening room and it is quit in here now allmost to quit after the niagara falls effect all these years but I think I can get use to the quiet.

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're just trading noises, right?  You quiet your tanks down and bring home a baby...  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

17. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    LOL yea but the baby realy is not that loud thank god.