1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HOB Fiulter or no filter...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Aug 14, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

EDTI:  sorry about the spelling in the title, can't fix it now so I will just sit here and look silly.  [​IMG]

Yet another question from a fairly new guy.... 
    I have read on other forums of some not using any filter(s) at all, that said I am still 'getting started' all I have right now is a Marineland 330 that I am currently using, I would guess the bio wheels really don't provide much of an advantage since my tank is already full of live rock, would that be correct?  Also is there any advantage of NOT using the filter OR using it for a short time once a day OR just leave it as is and run it 24/7? I am just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can before I expand to something larger.

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would gut the filter and just throw a bag of activated carbon and a bag of phosphate remover in it.

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To expand on Travis's advice which I agree with: Reef Tanks use almost all natural filtration. Most people will use a filter sock on the return but change it at least weekly. The problem with any mechanical filtration is detrius gets trapped and turns into a nitrate factory. We have enough problems with nitrate in our tanks without adding that. Once your tank is well established it will stay amazingly clear. So just use that filter for chemical media like Travis mentioned or for short durations to polish a new tank or when something has been stirred up. Hope this helps.