1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HOB Filter Question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have  a Marineland Penguin 330 filter...  we have just been using the 'normal' rite-size cartridge's. 
    Now with out upgrading the filter (not right now anyway) is there a better option when using this filter for better filtration?  Say using the removable baskets that are included with the filter or something else.
    Any help or suggestions would be great!

2. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Back when i used to run the bio-wheel filter i used to put carbon in the baskets, but i always ran a floss filter as well.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did reply to this, but it didnt post.

Are the cartridges the ones with carbon inbetween the filter floss? Those work well if you change them about every 2 weeks. For the media baskets you could put carbon and/or phosguard in them. If you do use phosguard make sure you rinse it well first... supposedly it leeches aluminum but I have never had trouble with it.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 04/20/2008 9:11 PM
    I did reply to this, but it didnt post.
    Are the cartridges the ones with carbon inbetween the filter floss? Those work well if you change them about every 2 weeks. For the media baskets you could put carbon and/or phosguard in them. If you do use phosguard make sure you rinse it well first... supposedly it leeches aluminum but I have never had trouble with it.
    The cartridges do have carbon in them, but sure doesn't seem like much to me more of a 'dusting' of carbon. 
    We have added some carbon to one of the baskets.  How often should the carbon be changed in the basket?
     Any other thoughts? 

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say anywhere from 2--4 weeks depending on how much you use at a time. Its effectiveness runs out pretty quick.