1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hippo Tang with ich

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I just got a Hippo and he looked good when I brought him home but over night developed about 6-7 spots. He is eating like a pig and not rubbing on rocks so Ive just been feeding garlic and treating water with a few extra drops of garlic. The cool thing is I have a pair of cleaner shimp and my hippo goes down where they hang out and lets them go at it. He smiws side ways next to them and they tag team him and he loves it.  Coolest thing ever.
    Anyway I hope that helps. Still dont have a QT tank but if he doesnt clear up in a few days will set one up for sure. Anybody have any other ideas to treat in the display without harming anything else? Will the cleaner shrimp do any good or is it under the skin too deep for them to do anything?
    Never seen it before but its a very cool thing. Guess they are doing their job

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a Coral Beauty right now that has ich. Im treating for 7 days with melafix and doing the garlic thing. It seems to help the fish kick it last time I had an outbreak from a tang. Hope it helps this time also.

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have coral in your tank?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes I do. They all close up after treatment, but open back up within a few hours.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, make sure you turn any skimmers or carbon off also. The skimmer will go nuts if you dont shut it down.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Justin, Hippos are Ich magnets. If your water conditions are great and he is as healthy as you say he will most probably get over it all by himself. I have also had luck with Garlic as well as Ginger. Melafix won't hurt anything from my experience but is much better with bacterial things. I would doubt if it will help parasitic infections much but who knows it is really quite versatile.

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I had hippos for years. They would get ich every time they were stressed, especially in a move. Even the slightest stress would cause it sometimes. It always went away without treatment in my case within days, but several days longer on a tank move.

8. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    By the way, I had a pair that would shred goldfish.

9. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As of today he has not a single spot on him and looks perfect. Ive read and heard they always have it under thier skin and when they get stressed it comes out and affects them. He is doing good now. Him and the cleaner shrimp hang out all day long. Coolest thing ive ever seen. He loves when they clean him off