1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

High phosphate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mppanp, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mppanp

mppanp

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I switched out tanks about 3 weeks ago, never had problems with phosphate in the past. Changed 2 things when I went to the biocube. Now using ro water and a sandbed. So Im thinking the sand is leaching out phosphate. How do I get it back down. Water changes dont seem to be doing the job. I put phosban in and doesnt seem to work that good. thanks

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    How are you using the phosban? Do you have a phosban reactor? Also, old food will bring phosphates up, just check how long you've had your food around.

3. mppanp

mppanp

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    just a media bag. Food is only about a month old, I use rods. My 120 is still set up use the same food on that and phosphate is at 0 I really think its the sand. I used 20lbs of the black sand you get from petsmart along with a 1lbs bag of white sand cant remember what kind it was. the bag looked old though.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it's silicate based sand, that might be the problem, or the tank isn't cycled yet and you're algae spiking (I've seen all colors during cycling of both my tanks)

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think you should go get some of daves water and try to do a 50% water change with it. i need to bring your buckets back first though :)

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You mentioned having added sand. What kind of sand was it that you added?

7. mppanp

mppanp

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    found the source. My water ph is high so before I put it in the tank, I was adding a half tablet of tank buddies 7.0 that brought the ph down to 8.2-8.4 tested the water after adding one and raised the phosphate to 10 from 0 in a five gallon bucket. What can I add to bring ph down without spiking phosphate. thanks

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    vinegar

9. mppanp

mppanp

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks that works great, and didnt even have to spend money. Also had big phosphate drop with a 5g water change, and I think the phosban worked to because it was also down a little from 2 days ago when I checked.