1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

High Def. and DirectTV question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by got2lb, Dec 10, 2007.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm remodeling my house and I have a question for you tech savy people.
    I know everything is going HD and I want to make sure I have everything in order as long as I'm doing things.
    I'm running cable lines from my basement to my attic and then to the bedrooms.  I know with Direct TV each receiver needs its own cable line. 
    So now my question is this.  Can you run a HD signal through regular coax cable?  I already pulled all the lines through the wall but as long as I have it open I just assume put the right cables in so I don't have to try and do it after everythings drywalled.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can get HD thru the regular line....

I have Directv and full HD .

What I would highly suggest is to run 2 separate lines to your main TV or the tv that will have a DVR or HD DVR...That way you can record and watch separate channels at the same time...you will gain much functionality by doing this.
    With 2 lines you can even record 2 shows at once. The HDR21-700 is the DVR you should get it is awsome is capable of ON-DEMAND service which is rolling out any day now!

Give me a call or shout if you have any questions..

eins

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I second what Einsteins said. Run 2 coax (RG-6) lines to any room where you might have a TV in the future. You won't regret doing so.

I've got an HDVR20-700 and I love it. It's hard to beat DirecTV's 70+ HD channels.

-JB

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Alrighty well I'm glad I can use regular coax that helps out alot!  Sounds like I'll be picking up another 100' of cable though so I can run another 2 lines to each room! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Right now we only have town cable and it sucks they don't offer HD or anything like that and our internet is slow as HELL!  Small towns are great!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/angry.gif
    Thanks for the help guys!

5. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a DLP tv by Toshiba and it had an incredible picture....

I highly recommend DLP for HDTV I think its a bit sharper than LCD or plasma.

But it all falls in the eyes of the person buying

eins

6. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One other thing.....if you need to connect 2 lines together with a barrel connector MAKE SURE THE BARREL CONNECTOR IS ABLE TO HANDLE HD SIGNAL! they are not all the same....old barrel connectors choked my system for a month until we figured it out.

eins

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also just so you know (if you haven't already run the dual lines) DirecTV is coming out with a device called a SWM (switched something module?) that will allow you to use regular cable splitters to divide the satellite signal. This will mean that you only need one line coming to each TV, and then you'd just put a splitter right before the STB if it was a DVR (and needed 2 inputs, 1 for each tuner). I don't know when this is coming out - but it shouldn't be too long now - i know there is a small community of users beta testing it currently.

Also the HR21 is the newest HD DVR (or the H21 for non-DVR), but if you need OTA capabilities to receive the local channels in HD with an antenna (since DirecTV doesn't provide HD locals anywhere in Iowa yet) I would suggest getting an HR20. If you don't get a DVR you can just hook the antenna to your TV and switch inputs to get the HD locals, but if you want to record them you're gonna need the HR20 until they provide the locals via satellite.

PS - you will love DirecTV and all their HD channels - I rarely watch SD anymore mostly because it looks like crap on my 65" HD toshiba /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif