1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hi from Ankeny Ia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SGM, Jul 18, 2009.

1. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I am new to the site.  I am from Ankeny, I currently have one salt tank up and about 12 fresh water tanks.
    My saly tank has only been up for about 3 weeks.  Just a small Oceanic Bio Cube.
    I have a 180 and a 125 that I am thinking of setting up for salt.  If anybody has any info on where I can get some stuff for them let me know. 
    The cheaper the better.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club. Are you setting up a reef tank or fish only with live rock? Wow...13 tanks. The BioCube is a great place to start out. Enjoy and let us know if you have any questions that we can help with!

--AJ

3. SGM

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking of doing a 125 reef tank and then setting my 180 up as a fish only tank

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, and welcome! Sounds like you have quite the passion for aquatics. My advise to you is take your time and do things right the first time!!!
    Don't try to skimp on cheap equipment, in this hobby you get what you pay for so do your self a favor and get the facts before you buy equipment, it will save you money in the long run!!!
    Again Welcome!!
    -Rick-

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By B-Rad on 07/18/2009 03:02 PM
    Don't try to skimp on cheap equipment, in this hobby you get what you pay for so do your self a favor and get the facts before you buy equipment, it will save you money in the long run!!!
    Again Welcome!!
    -Rick-
    That is great advice - took me about a year to accumulate all the equipment I wanted to set up the 120 I now have and couldn't be happier.  Took sometime but well worth it.

6. SGM

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am hoping to get good equipment. Is used ok to buy?

7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By SGM on 07/18/2009 05:34 PM
    My new system is 100% used, well I built the stand myself - got some killer deals off GIRS, everything I bought looks new and was well taken care of.  Again it took a year to gather all the needed equipment but it was worth the wait.

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By SGM on 07/18/2009 05:34 PM
    Absolutely! There's always great deals in the buy/sell/trade section. I'm just saying to make sure the that the stuff you buy is good quality, and will fit you're system and its needs!
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, or for our opinions on things you think you may need for your system. There are thousands of different components and brands, some good, some great, and some to avoid.
    There are allot of very knowledgeable people in this club and we are here to help you with all your questions. 

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On used stuff, just make sure that you're careful about the condition of stuff. I've bot a lot of used stuff in great condition, but wasn't as selective about some other stuff and got burned. Insist on photos and as much usage history as possible when purchasing. It also helps to buy local vs. buying over RC as at least you have a better chance of knowing the person selling (which hopefully means they are less likely to screw you). Good luck.

--AJ