1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hey Skimmer experts, performance help needed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Jul 10, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    OK guys I admit I am skimmer stupid.
    I have 3 octo dnw200's  They seem to skim "ok", but I feel they should/could be doing better.
    What I really hate is they came with absolutely no instructions, none, nada.  I guess they expect you to know how skimmers operate & how to put them together.
    Is there any mods that I can do to these guys?
    The collection cup gets some sludge on the inside of the neck.  I clean it off once in awhile.  Does it help or not?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not an expert, but here is a mod that many people seem to like!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284642

3. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Which model are they? The original seemed to get the most air out of the pump, then at some point they made a few changes and it seemed harder to get the same numbers. Prior to this year they then had the Tunze style neck and few were able to get high numbers.

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Craig, OK first let me ask a few questions,
    1. Are you running them all in separate systems?
    2. Are they in your sump or external?
    3. What is the water level in the skimmer body?
    4. Do you ever have to empty you're skimmer cup, or does it just get skim mate on the inside of the neck?

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    They are all the same model, DNW 200

1 on 1 system with 350 gallons, 2 on another system with 450 gallons

I am running them external. 2 I am gravity feeding from the overflows into the skimmer, 1 have am using a mag 5 to feed it.

I try to keep the bubbles up to the top of the neck or close to it. It changes quite a bit.

I have drain lines hooked to a drain so I dont have to ever take the neck off or empty it. Sometimes I will close off the water a little bit to make it overflow & flush the lines out.

6. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

just realized they were recirc.. was thinking nw200 skimmers

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Craig, It sounds like you have them set right, maybe shut the valve to the drain and see just how wet, or how long it takes to fill the cup.
    I assume the pumps are OTP-3000's

Do they have this style of impeller? http://www.aquacave.com/pin-wheel-i...-2427.html If not I would look into getting one and try it out. The mesh mod works great on RC but you have to replace it on a regular basis.
    Its nice that you have 3, that way you can com pair the changes you make.

8. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the same skimmer. I don't get that much skimmate in the waste collector, but the neck always get really nasty with sludge. I try to clean it out at least once a week. I have looked into the mods for them too, thinking it wasn't doing the job that I thought it should. The one that people seem to say they get the best results with is the inlarging the air intake. I would like to do that, but don't have enough confedence that I wouldn't screw it up. I have also heard that people have used a air pump and forced more air throw the intake, to increase the mico bubbles.

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Want more skimate?

FEEEEEED