1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Here comes the ICE get ready!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by einsteins, Dec 10, 2007.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just went out and bought a 5000 watt coninuous power generator in case we lose power tonight or tomorrow.
    I hope I can run my system plus a few things on that rating/size generator.
    I figure if I dont need it I will take it back for a larger one. Not even taking it out of the box unless I need to.
    eins

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 12/10/2007 5:24 PM
    I just went out and bought a 5000 watt coninuous power generator in case we lose power tonight or tomorrow.
    I figure if I dont need it I will take it back for a larger one. Not even taking it out of the box unless I need to.
    eins
    yeah but did you remember to get a long enough extension cord to reach my house?.

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 12/10/2007 5:24 PM
    eins
    That is enough to run your tank, furnace, several lights, your refrigerator, and a your tv.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It might be time to rob your tank of some calcium carbonate, break out the Prestone driveway heat.  3 pallets all sold out at Lowes.

5. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ran around for 3 hrs trying to find any kind of salt I could...finaly Kmart had some nasty rock salt ...I got 4 bags and got out of there before people started fighting over it.

eins

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 12/10/2007 11:15 PM
    Why not just get one of these and not have to worry about it?
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325030_200325030
    There are cheaper ones out there but this one even has an automatic transfew switch....sweeeet!
    Thats not a bad price. For a little bit more though, around $2300, you can get the Guardian 13kw which would run a lot more of your house. After having a standby generator (Guardian 16kw for $3200) I don't think I would ever not have one again.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I figured one of you guys probably had one of these....someday when i get above poverty status maybe ill get one.

LOL

9. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 12/11/2007 7:31 AM
    I figured one of you guys probably had one of these....someday when i get above poverty status maybe ill get one.
    LOL
    One year interest free from HomeDepot.com. Comes with everything you need except a battery and a gas line from the house to it.

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 12/11/2007 7:45 AM
    Posted By Waverz on 12/11/2007 7:31 AM
    LOL
    One year interest free from HomeDepot.com. Comes with everything you need except a battery and a gas line from the house to it. REally damn, ill have to ask santa for one, but i dont really think i have been THAT good.

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My power just came back on. It has flickered a couple times though, probably short lived.

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 12/11/2007 2:33 PM
    My power just came back on. It has flickered a couple times though, probably short lived.
    Did your return pump end up working on the generator this time?

13. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we just got our power back also, it was a boring day home from work. i love electricity!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lost the power here for 45 minutes, hopefully there will be no more outages.

15. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not the first try. I had to unplug and plug it in a few times. I am ordering a different pump to replace it. I may go with an ocean runner for my returns, they start on the skimmer every time.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of pump do you have on your return?  I have a mag 5 and it fails to start sometimes when I power it off at the power panel.  Fortunately it came back on following the outage. 

17. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/11/2007 4:22 PM
    What kind of pump do you have on your return?  I have a mag 5 and it fails to start sometimes when I power it off at the power panel.  Fortunately it came back on following the outage. 
    I am running a mag right now on the display.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I might need to get an ocean runner as well.  I alway's get po'd when it won't start, I alway's end up taking it apart to get it going.