1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HELP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by champ23, Jan 15, 2009.

1. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So the heat in my apartment wont kick on and the heater in my tank isnt keeping it warm enough. I'm calling management in the morning to have someone come fix it. But they probably wont be here till Monday, does anyone have a heater i can borrow, my tank is at 68 degrees at the moment. I turned my metal halide on to keep it warm for awhile. Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks.

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Champ put some warm water ( NOT HOT) in a milk jug and set it in the tank. just keep doing this until you can get a heater from someone.

Hope this helps.

-Rick- 

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung has about 100 used heaters sitting on his counter. I'm sure you could get one there. Otherwise head to your LFS. If I didn't have my QT up and running you could have had my extra.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I-380 south is a mess this morning so travel to North Liberty would not be advised. http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/37706429.html

--AJ

5. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Get a space heater to try and warm up the room

6. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    space heaters arent allowed. and i dont need another fine.

7. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would tell them to get there today and fix the heat otherwise you are going to be forced to use space heaters. If temps get to cold it will freeze up pipes and not really good for people to live in those conditions. Just do a little threatening and they will be there to fix it.

8. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They just came and fixed it. I put my stock hood back on to keep a little heat in the tank. But the sunpod will be going back on once it warms up. The room temp was under 50 degrees by the time he got there.lol.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Glad they got it fixed and you were able to avert a disaster!

--AJ

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    50 is 4 degrees below the pipe freezing warning temperature /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Glad you got your LL to fix the problem.

11. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple extra heaters - I am in Boone - How desperate are you?

12. JConsolver

JConsolver Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, just finished reading the posts - glad you got your heat fixed - I have many extra things around as I have pumps, heaters, lights for a 50ga, 90gal, 120gal and 200 gal tanks. If you ever need something in a pinch let me know - I probably have it!

13. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our neighbors pipes froze and broke last night. I'm glad they came as soon as they did. I have a small generator to run my tank when power goes out but i never thought my heater would stop working. I just ordered a 200 watt one just in case something goes wrong again. I floated warm bags of water in ziplock containers to keep it warm last night. Thanks JConsolver for the offer, but I hope I've gotten everything back under control. And welcome to GIRS. Sorry to hear about your crash, i hear sea apples do that if they die or become very stressed. Thanks everyone for the help!

Champ.

14. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get 2 champ. Always good to have back-ups. I have 2 in the tank and one spare

15. Elazar

Elazar Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got two heater you can used davenport 563 324 0737 or 563 499 7288 call if you still need them

16. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    glad you got that taken care of...everything looking ok? how cold did the tank get?