1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Help with biocube.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pauls biocube, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Nitrate, ammonia and nitrite always tests 0
    Phosphate is still at .2 (I haven't added anything to lower them recently...that test is also very hard to determine what level it's at because the color shades on the Api test are very close to each other.

2. Nitrate always tests 0. Same with Amonia and nitrite
    Phosphate is still at .2 (I haven't added anything to lower them recently)

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Well with that kit you could be at 0.0 or 0.2. Hard to say. I think you should just see how it goes with what you are doing now. That way we know what worked.

4. Should I try to go with a different branded test?

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You can try a different one. Wish you were closer. I would test for you. I like the Hana low range phosphate checker. It's what I use. Look for other opinions but I am guessing most will use this test also.
    Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter - Bulk Reef Supply
    You can search phosphate test kits or any test kits on YouTube for helpful videos.

6. image.jpg
    Ph is 8.2
    Calcium was 380-400 (I dosed 1 teaspoon of liquid calcium)
    Alkalinity is 9
    Magnesium is 1320
    Salinity is 1.025

7. image.jpg
    Hard to discern between .25 and 1.0 by color. Luckily someone is gonna come by with a Hanna tester so I can know if this test with api is "off" or not.

8. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Good deal. Everything thing else looking good. How's your corals doing?

9. poppin

10. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Awesome

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I believe BRS has safe level increases listed but IIRC it's 50 points/day for calcium, 100 for mag, and for alkalinity it's something like 0.5 points in a shot and no more than 1 per day, something like that...

12. image.jpg
    Everything looks good, but I'm still battling phosphates. When the refer from Jesup swung by with a Hanna tester, it read .52 but it doesn't appear to effect the corals much...the DI attachment for the RO buddy I purchased a month ago gets here tomorrow, so I'm gonna do 10% water changes twice a week to try and get them lowered.

13. What do you use to test your magnesium?

14. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Not sure what turbo uses but I use Red Sea magnesium test kit.

15. image.jpg
    All of my other rocks seem to have been slowly returning to their original color as I've been improving the water quality...except one rock that used to be covered in green star polyps until they died off. That rock has been having all sorts of stuff growing on it, including algae of different colors and even a little cyno was growing on it for a bit.

Should I remove this rock?

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I use Salifert

17. image.jpg

--- Auto-Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---

image.jpg
    this one?

18. Is there a reliable test that gives a digital readout like a Hanna tester for magnesium?

19. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I would leave it. Looks like just a bit of hair algae. When you phosphate gets low it will go away. You can try to manually remove it to get rid of it. Pick it off with tweezers.

20. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I don't know about a digital mag kit but the Sali fort is good test kit. Use that.