1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Help with biocube.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pauls biocube, Mar 13, 2016.

1. What kind of lighting schedule should I have them on?

Currently, I have the 3 moonlight LEDs on at all times and the actinic/10,000k on
    930am-630 pm

2. They do offer that attachment to the system that I plan on ordering in the next week.

3. image.jpeg
    ughhh

Every day for the last week I've done tests on my water and have consistently gotten

1230-1250 magnesium
    420-440 calcium
    8.0-8.1 ph
    9 alkalinity
    0 nitrate
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    .2 phosphate

To me, it seems like everything is in line.

About 5pm last night, out of nowhere, a huge section of my yellow polyps closed up (maybe 1/3 of the colony...about 75 polyps) and didn't open back up for a couple hours.

At the same time as that happened, the torch coral also shrunk way down.

I wake up this am and check the tank and the torch coral is backed up mostly into his skeleton, every other night he has shrunk up, but never gone into his skeleton like this.

I just hope when I get home from work he's not completely dead.

Some other observations from the tank...

I posted a pic of the salinity tester (which I don't use anymore, but things are growing in it, so I don't want to trash it) and now, inside of it there are a few tiny red things. Very, very small and they crawl over the inside of it.

I have a hermit crab that got huge fast (he's probably 20 times bigger than the rest) and he tends to move rocks around a lot. Especially the larger ones...and when I stayed up and watched him a couple days ago, he was trying to pull the torch corals drag off the rock...I have another coral I superglued to another rock that I think he pulled off it last night because it's not there anymore and is in the sanders below it. Has anyone had problems with larger hermit crabs in a tank where they had to get rid of them for the peace of the tank?

I included a pic of him to try and show size because he's really big (I think he ate my coral banded shrimp, too)

I feel a bit like a dog chasing his tail.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    What about stray electrical current?
    If you see the hermit pulling and bothering the corals I would get him out of there too.

5. What do you mean by "stray electrical current"?

I think I'm going to take the big hermit and put him in the bio ball chamber until I can find someone that wants him.

If somebody has time to come by and lend a hand, I could give them a Xenia frag, a yellow polyp drag and that big hermit...

6. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    That hermit could be your problem too. I had one just like that in my tank. I found out it would eat snails often as my population declined very fast. Also I put a frag of cali tort in my tank on a rock and a day later I realized it was missing. Figuring a snail knocked it over and rolled into the rock work somewhere I went digging. I pulled my rock work apart and found that bastard had over half of the frag eaten. Needless to say it got sumped.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's a bit low actually, I keep mine at 1320
    some would argue this is high
    If you have a bad piece of equipment in the tank, then you may have an electrical current "leaking" energy into the tank. Arguably this can be called stray voltage as well, either way it's bad.
    something worth reading: Electrical Safety

Another question - back to the basics, how long has the tank been up and running?

8. Should I dose a teaspoon of magnesium every other day till I get it higher?

I wonder if we are over feeding the tank or something that's keeping that phosphate level where it is. I ran some phosphate sponge and got it down to 0, took it out (it says to only leave in for 8hours - 48hours and remove) and 2 days later we had measurable phosphates again. Even right after a water change.

The next water change I'm gonna do will be from my own RO/di unit...like I mentioned, I've been using the culligan water for water changes the last couple months. The machine claims its ro deionized and uv filtered, but some have mentioned that they might not replace their membrane/filters often enough.

Hopefully having my own unit will help.

The tank has been up and running total for 4 years or so. I got it about 3 years ago in trade (I always wanted one and the opportunity arose and I traded for it and the guy brought it to my house and set it up for me) when I got it, it was thriving and I knew very little about salt water tanks...I bought additives the people at petco (and other stores) sold me and added them, didn't do enough water changes and over time, the colonies have gotten smaller and smaller. I moved up to Cedar Falls from Marion a year and a half ago and during the process, the tank sat for an extended period of time with just timers and my brother feeding the fish.

Ever since the move, I've been fighting to get it back to the point it was when I got it, but I know so little and apart from this place, I really don't know where to look because there aren't any local salt water fish stores.

I've probably spent over $500 on additives, test kits and whatnot to try to get it to that point, and still feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Believe me, I appreciate every ounce of knowledge I've gotten here.

You guys are a huge help.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You can increase Mg by up to 100 points per day. I've done that without issue but only when it's really low. 50 points/day is fine

10. ill add a teaspoon per day till it gets to 1320 or so.

How about iodine and strontium? Should I buy tests for those? I've noticed that it lists those as things to have as additives for hammer/frogspawn/torchcorals...I have the additives, but no test so I don't use them anymore.

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Just take care of your magnesium and phosphates. Don't worry about strontium or iodine.
    Test kits you should have are Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrates, and phosphate. And check your salinity with a refractometer.
    Keep those levels stable and you will be fine.
    When your adding the phosphate remover your going from .2 to 0. That is gonna piss off your corals. Large swings are not good.
    Sounds like you have some phosphate bound up in your rocks. Your going to have to find a media like GFO or something that you can change regularly but be able to run it all the time. So you can get those phosphate out.
    I run bulk reef supply GFO in a reactor all the time. I adjust the amount I use to keep my phosphates between .02-.06. I change it out one a month.
    In your case the media may only last a week before it needs changed. Until phosphate gets lower then it will last longer. Just test every couple days and when it quits dropping and rises a little change it.
    Bulk reef supply has a reef calculator for figuring out media amounts, using their additives. I use their carbon, gfo, and 2 part mixes. Reasonably priced and work well.
    Theirs tons of different media's that will help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Should I stop using this?
    --- Auto-Merged, Mar 23, 2016, Original Post: Mar 23, 2016 ---
    --- Auto-Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---

Attached Files:

13. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You can use it. It's just the up and down roller coaster that corals don't like. I have never used that brand so I can't advise on amount or lent of time to use. Hopefully some one else can help with that.
    And by the way. Put that giant crab in jail. Those aren't reef safe. The small ones work way better. Like blue legs or red legs.

14. I put him in the third chamber in the back till I can get someone to take him.

It's a shame, too, because he's a way cool looking little bugger...but I like my corals more.

I also have an emerald crab, but he seems harmless....as well as 7-8 other hermits that are small and a medium sized one thats super dark red with blue that's equally as harmless.

15. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yeah I have 4 or 5 emerald crabs. They are good cleaners. I will do a bit of research on that media you are using. Maybe we can come up with an amount that you could keep in there to help with your phosphate.
    Everything else seems to be good. Magnesium is a bit low but you are working on that.

16. Just getting rid of that hermit crab and getting the magnesium up has made the corals a lot happier.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Progress!

17. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Very nice. Keep an eye on your alkalinity and calcium also. Sounds to be headed in the right direction.

18. image.jpg
    I did some running around and stopped at petco and they had a little frogspawn frag for 20 bucks that was mostly closed up that I grabbed...Flores him for 35 minutes and gave him a good spot for lighting and a little flow and he ballooned out like crazy within a half hour. Here's a pic of the tank.
    --- Auto-Merged, Mar 25, 2016, Original Post: Mar 25, 2016 ---

image.jpg
    That torch I picked up a few days ago.
    --- Auto-Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    The frogspawn I picked up an hour and a half ago

image.jpg

19. image.jpg
    I checked today and my calcium is down to 380...ph is good at 8.1-8.2...alk is 9...magnesium tested at 1290.

It seems like every time I test my water the last week or so, ph and Alkalinity don't sway much, but my calcium and magnesium keep dropping....so I have a couple questions...

1) how many points is it safe to increase Calcium (and other components of the water) per day?
    2) is it normal for these 2 to go down so quickly?
    --- Auto-Merged, Mar 28, 2016, Original Post: Mar 28, 2016 ---
    The corals look great, btw.

20. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    You have a alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium unbalance going on that's why your levels are whacky. Every thing is with in range. Get your calcium around 420 and mag 1300 or so and let everything settle.
    Numbers a cruelly look pretty good to me.
    How's phosphate and nitrate going?