1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help... Red Slime Algae and fairly new to all this!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jun 17, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems I am starting to develop some red slime algae in my tank, right now its only on the live rock.  I have cut my lighting down (an hour less).  I REALLY need to re stock the clean up crew, will this help with this?  I have also just started using RO/DI water, I did my first 10 gallon water change with it about a week ago.  Its a 90 Gallon tank, lots of live rock, a hang on filter, aqua C W/mag drive 3 protein skimmer, Koralia 4 and 2 for water flow, I do have a couple MJ 1200 if I need to add more.

2. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was having the same problem. I bought a product called red slime, its pretty cheap Hung as it for 15 bucks and it treats 300 gallons. I have a 29 gallon with 250 m/h,I was pulling hair aglea out everyday and I treated  my tank twice and for the most part the hair algea and red slime is gone. Its safe for fish, inverts, and fish too.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive used that red slime for my tnak and it works great allso cut back on the lights will help i had same problem

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    The funnest part about red slime remover is it's not actually fixing the problem it's just covering it up. Red slime is usually a combo of different stuff, watch your temps anything 80ish is probably to high if your having RS problems. Check your flow, if you have light flow in your tank bump it up a bit and see if it helps. Check your water, phosphates usually don't help anything red slime related. Check your bulbs, if your bulbs are old or getting old it will usually assist in RS growth.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    glaspie's advise is good. I had rs on one side of my tank but not the other, the rs side being the side with weaker flow. so i bumped up the flow on that side and now i just have a small patch of rs in the middle.
    glaspie, what temp do you run?

6. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I like my tank on the cooler side, usually no more than 78. If I can get it I'll run between 76-77 for most of the year.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    adding calcium chloride will also help contribute to it. Have you tested your RO water? It may be time to change the filters.

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 06/18/2008 3:55 PM
    adding calcium chloride will also help contribute to it. Have you tested your RO water? It may be time to change the filters.
    They are new filters..

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Avoid "fix it" chemicals like Red Slime remover. It is only covering up the symptoms like Jason said. Find the root of the problem and correct that. Most of us have had this issue. How long has your tank been up? Check phosphates, Nitrates and bulb age. You also might want to give us some more info to go on like: water change schedule, length of time tank up, type of lighting and daily light schedule as well as the other water params - Ph, temp, salinity, NO2, NO3, PO4 etc ......
    By the way the last time (and I do mean last time) I used a red slime product I lost fish, but it reef safe. But when you kill the red slime it does pollute the water so even ifthe chemical is safe the die off isn't. Find the cause and cure it for good.

10. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Hows the slime issue going?

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 06/26/2008 6:26 PM
    Hows the slime issue going?
    well, I have changed my lighting times, changed the water current, reduced the amount of food I am feeding and all seems to be holding well, nothing more nothing less, seems to be a holding pattern.  I have tons of Coralline algae on my live rock then there are a few areas with very deep purple algae, I touched a little of it and it seemed to just disappear/wipe off the rock.  Is it red slime algae?