1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HELP nasty algae

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bzishka, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]i have this nasty algae, its brown and grows within ten in in of whiping it off, i have read a few places that i am just supposed to let it use up all the nutrients then it will start going away in a few weeks, its been about three to four months since i moved the tank, i never had this problem before i moved my thirty gal reef tank to my 55, i increased tank size and sump size, i am starting to grow tired of cleanin the glass every frickin day. can anybody offer any advice or help with my issue?/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cry.gif

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GFO will help to reduce the phosphates to help slow/stop the growth...are you using tap water? What do your parameters look like?

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Water quality is going to be the problem. Either Nitrates or Phosphates. We need your params plus how many/ size of fish? Water change frequency and amount? In the short term water changes are the answer but AP is right a phosphate reactor can help dramatically if the problem is phosphates. Bad or old bulbs can also contribute or be the problem.
    But if you are using tap water, like was mentioned, this will be the first thing to change.
    Hope this helps.

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How is your flow. You can have issues like this with bad flow even if you have very good water quality... I know I did on my nano until I put a koralia powerhead in it and everything has been fine since.

5. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i ran out of n02/no3 test strips, i will have to grab some more tomorrow, also i have never tested phosphates before,

i do know that my

Ammonia is 0ppm

pH is at 8.4

salinity is 1.24

temp is always between 76, and 81 Farenheight

i have 3 damsels

1 true Percula

1 blue fin angel (pygmy of course)

1 scooter blennie

1 Blue Star Linkia, or however you spell that

i only have two corals

Pink Zoanthids

and two mushrooms

want more but havin issues

and a bunch of crabs

i have two powerheads in the tank, but i have a diy overflow made out
    of an old filter, goes to a 40 gal sump, caulpera in the sump also some
    live rock rubble

i also have a couple a fiddler crabs on the return side, there is a
    protein skimmer in my sump its very effective but its been pretty clean
    lately, i don't use a cannister on this tank, i have a penguin 350.
    (biowheels).

also i do use tap water, the same tap water i use in all of my tanks,
    have for four yrs. and never had a algae problem like this one.

o and to the phosphate reactor, i don't exactly know what that is, i do
    have a small hose siphoning from my tank to a bucket filled with
    bioballs, then just trickles down from a whole in the side with i piece
    of pvc that leads to my sump. i will put attachments on here of my sump, my overflow, and my "bucket"/Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Picture_042_edited.jpg
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Picture_043_edited.jpg/Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Picture_041_edited.jpg

6. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    o and water changes, since the algae bloom i have been doing around 30 gal every 1-2 weeks instead of 25 once a month, also i cut my light cycle from 12 to 9 or less,

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Start using R/O water and get your self some turbo snails.

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And consider ditching the BioBalls. Nitrate factories they are ...

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How big is your tank? Looks can be deceiving but it looks too small to do a 30g water change at one time? Have you done any readings on your water ever? Maybe a year ago and then something closer to today? I ask because your TDS may be higher now than it was even a year ago. If your problem is from high phosphates which happen to be in your tap water, your water changes probably are only supplying the buggers with more nutrients. Also, as mentioned before, turbos do a great job sucking all the algae up, I have had good luck with hermits as well. I had a small algae bloom when my tanks cycled but it is all but gone now with the introduction of the snails..

10. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Doesn't it seem like there's always something going on in our tanks?

I can't see your tank in person, but it appears to be a diatom outbreak from the pictures (could still be algae - can't tell).

Couple things:

1. You use the same water source in several tanks - are they all salt?  If they're all saltwater and this is the only tank with problems, it leads away from the water as the issue, but if they're all fresh but this, it could be the water.  Either way, fresh or salt, RO/DI is better although many people have great success on tap water.

2. You just went from a 30 to a 55?  How long was the 30 established and how deep was the sand bed that you just disturbed (assuming you moved it)?
    3. When you went from the 30 to 55, was there any chance of die off from the move?

4. Where are the bioballs from?  Bioballs don't create nitrates on their own, but if they aren't properly maintained they can create nitrates when dirty.  You didn't test nitrates so we can't assume that you have a nitrate problem.
    Unfortunately, if it is in fact diatoms and not an algae, there's no rhyme or reason to how long it will last - some people go 2-3 days, some several months.
    -Eric

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bioballs are only nitrate factories if you don't maintain them properly. Rinse them every 2 to 3 months. Replace half once a year. No nitrate problems.

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very true, but most people don't due this maintenance or at least don't do it month after month and year after year. Bioballs seem to be another thing in this hobby people start with and end up ditching because there are better ways with less maintenance, myself included. Good live rock, a deep sand bed (big debate on sand bed I realize) and a good sump/refugium kick bio balls in the keister, especially in the long run. IMHO
    Sorry to stray, you are getting very good advice. Keep going down this path and you will solve your problem.

13. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok i will start at 1
    i have 3 fresh 3 salt and 1 brackish, and i have never seen anything like this in the4 yrs of using this water. can anything effect the tap water? changing pipes, changing meters, better water pressure, anything like that?
    2. i started this tank in a 20g four yrs ago, it was in the 20 for 6 months, then i moved it to a 30gal. it was in the 30g for 3yrs and a couple months, 55 ever since, also i used an undergravel filter with crushed coral in the 20&30, when i moved it to the 55 i removed the undergravel and used only sand. i have wanted to d that for sometime now.
    3. i dunno what would have died off, i cycled the other 25 gallons of water in the 55, used damsal and slowly added live rock bout  1-4 lbs  every week for 2 mnths before i moved it the rest of the fish and my corals. and the thirty gallons i started with. 55 g.
    4. bio balls came from the sump i had on the 30, more of a refugium then a sump, rinsed ever time i change a filter, also only change one filter a t a time so the bacteria will grow a little more rapidly. is this a good idea?  and other then bioballs what do i use in my bucket?
    and 2 answer lordofthereef's question, i never recorded and parameters on paper, i have now started a notebook (journal you could say) of my parameters but my n02/n03, ammonia or ph have never spiked
    and with my sump and bucket added to my 55 i have around 80-85gal of water.
    i would like to take the time to thank everybody for the help and advice, hopefully with all your help "WE" can get this figured out.

14. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the topic go dead

15. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I can just about pinpoint your problem. Moving old sand is the number one issue when it comes to algae, in my opinion sand is the devil.

16. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By bzishka on 03/28/2009 09:46 PM
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Picture_043_edited.jpg
    You have a silicate  issue
    I have poor vision,Is this rock from  a creek?
    I belive this is your source...

17. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im alittle confused on what those big pebble rocks are for?  I would get those out of there and grab some live rock rubble this will help. Those rocks are not doing anything other than adding weight and causing problems

18. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I wouldnt use the bio balls either like glaspie69 and if you do use them I wouldnt be rinsing them off every time you change the filter.

19. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Important note! If you do rinse you bio-balls use tank water! Never use tap or other sources. However, cleaning your balls every once in while is very important. Just make sure to use tank water to get the gunk off.
    But better yet, just get rid of them completely.

20. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the sand is from a new bag, i didn't use my old sand/crushed coral mixed, the pebbles were in there originally to weight it down, i have fixed that problem and didn't take them out yet, i will now though, and no these are black beach pebbles from mexico, thanks again everybody, what should i use instead of bioballs