1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

help me with a possible worm problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Sep 30, 2009.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I tried to take a picture of these worms that I have. They didn't come out well. I did a google search and came up with this drawing....

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/Images/2877/tubeworm_illus%20copy_big.jpg

One of these is on my pokerstar monti, another is attached to a clam shell, and a third to a rock and it grows up into some frogspawn.

I don't even know for sure if it is a worm. It extends a long strand of filiment out of its top and that filiment waves around in the water.

I have tried to remove them by pulling off their 'casing' but they just grow back. Should I worry about this? Can I kill it?

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I have a bunch of what you are talking about, and they seem to do no harm. There were like 3-4 attached to a frag Joel sold me about a year ago and he didn't seem worried so I didn't bother to ask about them. I will try and take a pic and post it here.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here it is. Sorry about the sort of fuzzy pic. Said frag disk is in the corner of the tank so I couldn't center it either.[​IMG]

Obviously the red circled things are what I am thinking you are talking about. There are more on the left but I couldn't get those in frame since it is right at the corner of the tank.

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Are they extending a long web like strand, especially around feedings? If so, they are vermetid snails.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine do something like that. Not around feedings per se. Don't really pay much attention honestly since they don't seem to bother anything /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What you have is not a worm problem, it's a snail problem. They start with a V, but forgot what they are called.

The best way is to manually remove them. If you follow the stem back down, they curl up where the shell is round. The best way I found to remove them is get bone cutters or
    something of the like and snip them off. They'll spread like wild fire if left alone. The few you see means there's many more you don't.

7. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    vermitids, that's what they are called.

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So does that mean they are bad?

9. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure that is what I have. Luckily, I don't have them all over my tank.

I only notice a few anyways. Going to look into eradicating them....

Thanks.