1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HELP LOUD NOISE FROM BULKHEAD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, May 1, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, SO IAM SETTING UP THIS 29 GALLON AND I HAVE A 1INCH BULKHEAD FITTING WITH A 90 ELBOW AND A PVC CUT WITH STRIPES OUT OF . ITS MAKE A SUPER LOUD SUCKING NOISE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY FROM THIS NOISE!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Drill a hole in the top of it.

3. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If your bulkhead is on the bottom of the tank (and it does not sound like it is) you can make a Durso standpipe , which are great for cutting down the noise considerably.
    I would think that it would work horizontaly as well if you modified it a little bit. Something like this.
    Either way, its one of the cheaper corrections in the hobby. Hope this helps.

4. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bulk head is about 1.5 from the top. I made a strainer from pvc and its open at the top. it sounds like toilet flushing.

5. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But that Durso standpipe wont work because my bulkhead is at the top of the tank will it? It will draw water all the way from the end on the 90 elbow if I flip it upside down right?

6. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since your bulkhead is at the top of the tank, the durso would be on the back side of the tank. The only part that would be inside the tank would be a 90 (pointed downward), a short piece of connecting pipe, and a fitting to screw into/onto your bulkhead.
    The air would be introduced by drilling a hole in the capped off end of the T'd pipe on the backside of the tank.
    Click HERE
    Make sure you  rig up a way to keep anything from being sucked into that 90 though, or covering the end of it as that will overflow the tank.
    I am not sure where you are located, but if you are going to be at the meeting in DM on Saturday I would be happy to help you with it, if you brought the parts along.

7. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see and this works? no more gulpping sounds?

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup do the durso

the durso will need to be on the outside of the tank and the top of the durso must be above the water line or you get wet carpet.

the noise you hear is a vaccum, or syphon sucking the water from the tank, with a durso, air is available and stop the syphon so the water just falls instead of being sucked.

9. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I got it to stop I had a Strainer fiting that have adjustment on.All i did was put it on the 90 elbow and closed it a lilibit and the noise stopped and i still have enough flow that my pump is running wide open.

10. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is air being introduced into the drain then?

Keep an eye on the water level in your tank though to make sure its remaining constant and not filling over a several day period.

11. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    should I standpipe a etss skimmer that is elevated, and the sump is ground level. 4 the return. Every 5-10 minutes it acts like a suction or a surge of h20 into the sump and  out of the skimmer? The intake to the skimmer pump isnt getting o2 bubbles, so it must need a standpipe? Thanks

12. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is the intake of your drain skimming the film off of the water surface?

13. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a 180 w/one large over flow box, dual 2 inch down pipes to the sump. The skimmer intakes from the bottom of the dirty side of my sump, and discharges 1 1/4 inch pipe about 3 feet down to my sump and next to my dual down lines. This 3 foot drop must be making a suction?