1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Advice? Help ID this stuff growing in my tank!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Otis, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I dont notice that my water is cloudy. If it is a bacterial bloom, any suggestions as to how to get rid of it?

2. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would try a UV but I do not have one and it looks like for one that is decent and sized properly would set me back quite a bit of money. Im going to try and add more fish and dose nitrates to get them up to something like 5ppm. Through reading it looks like some people have had success with adding bacteria and making sure they have measurable nitrates.

If you have any fish or any great ideas let me know. This "goo" has already taken ahold of a baseball sized colony.

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Did you have this problem prior to first adding the sodium nitrate or did it happen after? I can't imagine you need to add nitrate. Possibly if you ran ultra low nutrient level for a very extended period of time but I don't think you've even had this set up for a long enough period. Hopefully someone else can chime in to either back what I'm saying or give another opinion.

4. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Not sure if the two correlate. I see absolutely zero color change on my nitrate test. Been that way since I set the tank up. Has been setup for about a year and a half. There are some signs of dinos but nothing like I've seen before. I don't known it's bubbles just getting stuck or not. Many have stated running nutrient deficient systems, especially in newer tanks can feed the dinos.

5. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Just speculating here. It might be worth you time and money to try a different nitrate testing brand. I'm a fan of red sea. I see you are looking to add fish to try to bring levels up. Might be worth your time to double check. It's just odd that you would have issues with something growing if you do in fact have a nutrient deficient system. Also suspect is the timing in which it occurred if it appeared after you first dosed nitrate. I don't know if that is in fact the timing of it since you didn't answer that but maybe. I'm also no expert when it comes to dinos. I haven't personally had to battle that particular plague yet. Maybe they can thrive in a nutrient deficient system.

6. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered a new test yesterday, we will see.

I don't believe that this issue started when I dosed nitrates. Not to mention, I have dosed VERY little compared to my total water volume.

7. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like it could be a large bacterial bloom from bubbles getting stuck under a rock. This person said that manual removal (brush) and doing frequent filter sock changes and using a water polisher in the tank should get rid of the problem. We will see!

8. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Keep us informed! Good luck!!!!! :)