1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help I HAVE HAIR ALAGE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gabzak, Oct 22, 2009.

1. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have somehow introduced f'ing hair alage into my 225. I have a idea where it came from but now I am seeing it spread at a alarming rate on my crushed coral base as well as my live rock. My nitrates are very low phosphates are a touch elevated. I just purchased a phosphate reactor but this seems to be taking alot of time to drop the phosphate levels. I have pc with three phoenix MH that do run alot of hours per day. PC are on from 11a.m. to 9 p.m. the MH are on from noon until 8:30 p.m. I just did a 50 gallon water change about 3 weeks ago... My hopes are that someone has knowlege on what I need to be doing before this demon **** takes over my tank... Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated..
    P.S. I have several corals that require good lighting what I am unsure of is the minimum my lighting can stay on for without having a impact on my corals
    Thanks Everyone,
    Tony

2. agent-o2

agent-o2 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say you don't have your lights on very long... I think 12 hr photo period is pretty common. Depending on how wide spread the algae is your test could be reading a false lower reading do to the algae using those chemicals to grow. The best advice always seems to be step up water changes and have some livestock that will eat it.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I was able to get rid of it by cutting down photo period, don't over feed and regular water changes.

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    You should grab a snickers and hang on for a pretty long ride. This will not be an easy fix. If your not running ro/di water you should probably stop changing water until you can get ro/di water. If you have ro/di make sure to check your filters and your tds. Check your flow in the tank, also check the ages of your bulbs. If your bulbs are over 10-12 months old your probably just feeding the cause. Start SLOWLY with the phosban, if you bomb the hell out of it thinking it will just disappear in a day you'll probably come home to a tank full of dead or dying corals. If you can hand pick the algae off the rocks weekly. How old is your rock?

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup... Check RO water and bulbs... thats usually the first souurce. It also helps to have livestock that eat it.

6. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Phoenix bulbs are 2 months old, I use RO/DI water that i mix myself. What kind of livestock eat on hair alge I was under the impression nothing ate that crap... I am guessing that I should start with more regular water changes?? Can I cause anymore harm by performing weekly water changes? Is that too often??
    Thanks,
    Tony

7. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I do weekly water changes. Won't hurt a thing. As with any nuisance algae you'll want to deal with the source. Some folks say that Mexican turbo snails will eat it, but I've heard mixed reviews. I'd start with the basics and stepping up the water changes will help.

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Tony, listen to Jason's (Glaspie69) advice it is dead on and has been given over and over with success including myself.
     A few other notes:
    You should have a good cleanup crew. Nothing is going to solve the problem by eating it at this point but it will help after you get the root of the problem fixed for the future. If you don't have them you need a good cleanup crew of Astrea Snails and Blue leg hermits. These are just my preference others will do as well. Tangs , yellow especially love to nip at hair algae and emerald crabs will help a bunch as well. But as Jason said this will be a long ride, but you will win following this advice.
    I want to stress, test your RO/DI for TDS, is it 0? You said Nitrates and Phosphates are low but you didn't give readings, some people think their readings are low but don't realize how low is low in a reef tank. For instance, PO4 should be at or below .05 not .5. But like Jason said don't lower it too fast with a boatload of GFO. Things always should be gradual in a reef tank.
    Your photo period is fine. You can go longer but most find 12 hours too long. Turning off the lights for a maximum of three days has been known to cut it back but it won't fix the problem. If you have 2 month old Phoenix bulbs they are not the problem unless one is bad. But then you would probabally see more of a problem on one side.
    Weekly water changes are fine, but the reason and percentage is important. The question is what are you trying to accomplish with water changes?? If we find that your Nitrates or PO4 is high then yes water changes will definately help. And at this point it is mathematics, if you have a Nitrate level of 20 and you change 50% of the water with water of 0 Nitrate your levels will be 10. But generally 50% is way too high unless you are in catastrophe, which you aren't yet. So 20-30% every two-three days or so is about maximum to correct a problem. Use the math to determine your effect.
    In short - TDS - Nitrate and PO4. After we know this we can recommend a more direct solution.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check your magnesium levels as well as what Jason and Joel said. If you keep your mag levels up high you'll see a considerably favorable affect on your H.A.

10. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any proof but I think turbo snails eat it. (the big ones)

11. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O.K. my TDS reads 12 TDS so i will probably be changing out my DI filter this week. I am doing a 50gallon water change tonight... As far as my readings they where a bit off my
    Phosphates are at between .5 and 1
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates are at 30 ppm ph is at 8.4 Ammonia is at 0
    Temp is at 79.8
    Calcium is high 500
    Salanity is at 1.022
    All corals seem to be fine but the birds nest is dying from the base up day by date at a alarming rate, by dying it is turning bone white all other SPS seem to be doing fine..
    Please keep feeding me information I appreciate everyones help.. I do have several snails (5) and about 15 to 20 blue legs is that low for a 225 gallon tank

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK Tony, a little now and more when I have so more time. Your problems are right there in what you typed. TDS, PO4 and Nitrates are all very high. So here we go:
    1. No need to do a water change until you replace your DI resin and get TDS back to 0. You will just be putting Nitrates and PO4 back in your tank. You can test your fresh mixed water to see how high if you like. Don't put the TDS meter in there though. So #1 is get the resin replaced and make sure you are at 0.
    2. Once you can mix good salt water then start the water changes.
    3. Get a GFO reactor and start running it to help bring down PO4.
    4. Water changes with good water to bring down Nitrates. Remember the math and don't do too large of water changes, this needs to be gradual over weeks not days.
    More later ....

13. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Fox face rabbitfish, lawnmower blenny and mexican turbo snails are the best eaters i have found in that order for hair algae. With the fish make sure when the algae is gone to supplement with a good veggie diet. Unlike snails they cant get as much algae off the glass and rock work for adequate nutrition.

14. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    On the birdsnest, if it is turning white from the bottom up you may be too late. But you should try cutting it above the dying portion to get it stopped. The white portion will never come back so you won't be losing anything.
    No 15-20 hermits is not near enough IMO. I should have near 100 and 25 Astreas in my 90. Get more! There is a group order being put together for Fall Fest and I know you are coming to that. ;0)
    If you are dosing any ca, stop. What is your Alk at?

15. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have stopped dripping Kalk+2 several weeks ago due to my high calcium readings. Joel, previous to your last post I had already completed my water change (50 gallons) with my RO water testing 8 after having the meter calibrated by Adams Aquatics, I will still be ordering a DI cartridge from Ice fire and Water Monday. Now when you say cut the birdsnest I have never fragged anything in my life what utensils should I be using to complete this task?

Thanks again for the support
    Tony

16. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Order a refillable cartridge if you don't already have one. Then you can just buy DI resin and save money by refilling yourself. You might also consider an in-line TDS meter so you can constantly be testing TDS.
    Use a pair of dikes or something similar to cut the frag. AT this  point anything you can find, even pliers and break it above the dying tissue. Make sure to get above ALL of it.