1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help! how do i get rid of wood polyps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsprague, Jun 21, 2009.

1. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have large mats of wood polyps starting to cover a few of the largest rocks in my DT.  They started actualy growing over one of my sps and killed some branches.  I had to remove the coral and scrape the polyps of with a razor.  anyway how do I kill them... I tried kalk paste and it only killed the immediate injection area and quickly grew back.  If I try to just pull the matting up, I only get tiny little pieces.  It doesn't hold together.  The rock is to bumpy and porus to get it with a razorblade.  Any advice?

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I've had similar problems w/ Anthelia & Xenia in the past...remove what you can w/fingernail & kalk repeatedly until they're gone.  It could take several weeks to a month of kalking to get rid of them.

-E

3. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    use a small stainless steel brush to scrape it off. worked for me when waving hand was taking over my tank

4. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the idea.  I think I will use the wire brush and just be persistent and get it out of my tank all together.