1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello, Reefers!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shawnsi, Sep 28, 2021.

1. shawnsi New User

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I'm Shawn and re-entering the hobby after a long hiatus. So far I've learned live rock isn't really available and tangs are really expensive. Anything else someone that is 10+ years out from a last reef tank should know upfront?

The last couple of years I've been running a planted freshwater tank and now it's time to tear down and repurpose some supplies. Going to aim for a 40 gallon breeder to fill an existing countertop space. Once I get into building I'll post some pics and updates.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. sergifed91

Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Watch hrs 52 weeks of reefing.

3. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I think there has been a huge shift in lighting technology over the past 10 years. LEDs are now the most common light for any type of coral. They also come with a high cost, even for high end used ones. Thanks Science.

There is so much knowledge avaialble for consumption as well, getting into the hobby in 2016 knowing nothing about saltwater was intimidating. I mainly followed Bulk Reef Supply videos on YouTube and the occasional forum if I couldn't figure out the current sickness/bad thing my tank had.

Best of luck!