1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kylie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I'm a new member so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Kylie Day and I am a sophomore at the University of Iowa. I have a 20g L mini reef with two clowns, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a bunch of snails. I'm running a BakPak skimmer and a 4x24w SunDial Current USA T5 fixture. I'm working on a 40g upgrade also. My unfinished stand and canopy just got delivered this week so I'm getting ready to stain those tonight and hopefully get the first coat of polyurathane on tomorrow before I have to head back to school.
    So how is everyone? Anybody close by me at the university or Williamsburg that I may already know without realising it?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Kylie,

Welcome to the club!

There are a ton of people in the IC/CR area. They have quite a few functions you can check out. Big one is in 2 weeks in Marion.

Craig

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Kylie, welcome to the club! Sounds like you have a nice set up. Do you plan on adding corals or are you going to get the 40g up and running first?
    As xroads said in the previous post Frag Fest is coming in November in Marion, would be a great chance to meet most of the members, and maybe pick up some nice corals.
    Good luck on your tank build, and show us some pics of your tank. Its always nice to see how a tank progresses over time!

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Kylie! As Craig mentioned, there are quite a few members in the Iowa City/Coralville area, some in North Liberty, at least one in Riverside, and a bunch in Cedar Rapids. Come on out to Fall Fest. There will be *a lot* of corals for sale, great speakers and a huge raffle.

Good luck with the stand and we would love to see pics of your reef and your new build!

--AJ

5. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am very excited for Frag Fest! I'm hoping to find a bunch of frags that can do well under my lesser T5's until I upgrade this christmas. Also, I'm looking for some equipment that I might hopefully get used or discount on. We'll see! It'll be a lot of fun either way. As for pictures, how do I insert pictures into my responce without attaching them as thumbnails? I've seen everyone doing it where they turn out into big pictures that you can see right in the post without having to click to make them bigger. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks!

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Kylie,

Welcome to GIRS we have pretty good group of people here in Cedar Rapids and in the club in general.

See ya at Fall Fest.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend using a PhotoBucket account.  When you upload pics to Photobucket, it resizes them for you and also generates the [IMG] code that you need to add them to your message.  Eric (another one of our fine reefers in the CR/IC area) wrote up a nice Wiki article on this here (http://www.greateriowareefsociety.o...fault.aspx).  Hope this helps.
    --AJ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  8. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh cool, thank you!

9. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Kylie - looks like you're off to a good start! I'm in IC too. :)

11. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Where at? I'm in Burge. I'm a sophomore studying Pre-vet med and Neurobiology