1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello everyone!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John50, May 16, 2009.

1. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody, my name is John. My wife Cindy and I have plunged in to this hobby with both feet. We have 20 gallon and 75 gallon tanks cycling at this time. My wife has always wanted a salt water tank so she started all this but I must admit that I am in to all the technical parts of making this work and fascination with the sea life more than I ever could have imagined! I am on disability due to a terminal brain disease so this has become a REALLY nice relaxing diversion from reality. I am a very friendly guy that probably talks too much. I was told about the site from the saltwater guy at Petland and I am sorry the name escapes me at the moment. I am very excited and proud to be a member of the group!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey man,

welcome to the club & this exciting hobby.

I hope you get alot out of your tanks.

Craig

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome John and Cindy to the most addictive hobby that exists. lol

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome to the club!

There are allot of great people in this club with allot of knowledge, that can help with all your questions you may have.

We also do allot of monthly events, tank tours, friendly get together's, and other functions, hope to see you at some of them.

-Rick-

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    WElcome to the club! You will find lot's of people willing to help with whatever tank issues my arise. And lot's of good deals and member to member freebies.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Where are you located?

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!

8. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, should have mentioned that. We live in Grimes, IA which is basically a suburb of Des Moines.

9. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am looking forward to all that lies ahead. We keep looking at fish getting very excited about what we will choose. We are thinking we will keep the 75 gal a FOWLR and try to make a reef in the 20 gal. She wants to eventually put some seahorses in the 20 so any insight about them is welcome and appreciated.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If I was you, I'd look for ways to hook the 75 and the 20 together. A 20G reef isn't going to be very forgiving, especially for a beginner.

More water volume is your friend, especially when you're just starting out.

-JB

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

John just wanted to add to what JB was saying, The water will evaporate out of the tank but the salt does not so unless you keep the water level in check your salinity will rise. so my advise to you, talking from experience ( I had a 30g for 2yrs ), mark a spot at the water level you want and then put a mark after a day or two to see how much water has evaporated out of your tank.

Check your salinity levels then top it back up with Fresh RO (Reverse Osmosis) water if you have an RO unit, that will tell you how much water to have at hand on a daily basis.
    -Rick-

12. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you think about the Marineland 29 gallon complete system I was looking at today. It comes with the VHO lighting and everything. Would that be a decent reef? Also on our 75 the first 2 fish are going to be clowns. We want to do a yellow ridgeline clown (Ithink that was the name?) and a percula clown. We were told they should get along but it was suggested to add the percula first, what do others think?

13. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think at this point we are going to keep both of them fowlr tanks and get our sea legs as it were. lol Eventually when we find a 72 gal bowfront or similar reef ready tank we will give corals a shot. Thanks!