1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Slurpeshark, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Slurpeshark

Slurpeshark Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    My name is Michael, I moved here to West Des Moines from San Diego about a year ago... when i parted with my old reef tank... The fiance finally let me set up a new tank and I found this site while over on RC... Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself... Im just in the beginning phases right now but Ive got the tank up and cycling, a 55 gal, lighting with a 250w metal halide, 2x 65w pc's and some blue leds, running with an AquaC Remora Skimmer, Aquaclear Filter, 30+ lbs of Base Rock and some live sand.... still need to get some powerheads and some live rock before the real magic begins but its a start! Cant wait to get it all together and start meeting people out here!
    -Michael

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Michael! Quite a few of our club members are there in your area and you should have a nice group of local folks that share your love of the hobby. Good luck on your new tank!

--AJ

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome.

Im not in DM but i do visit quite often. I would think about maybe doing 2 metal halides instead of one. thats alot of room for one MH. general rule is one per 24" of tank, rule can be bent but just my 2cents. good luck.....and i hate buying Live rock...to expensive

4. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!! We have some great people to help you in the Des Moines area. We have monthly meeting in clive and some social events comin up. Although it might be a little early for ya we have a frag swap comin up march 28th but at least you can get some ideas of what you want. Hope to see you at some of the events. Sounds like you have a great start, good luck!!

5. Slurpeshark

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome... I look forward to attending some of the events and meeting some new people!
    Snowman- I do need to upgrade to a 48" -2 MH fixture but I got 2 kids and working with a light from my old /smaller tank from back in SD and dont have the funds to upgrade quite yet... but definately will have to do so in the future! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate any help I can get!

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i know how the funds situation is, i'm out of funds as of now as well haha one will work just fine for a while. May i ask what prompted a move from nice warm weather to our crappy winters? haha

7. Slurpeshark

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, my fiance lives here, shes originally from ca, knew her when i was young and got back in touch with her a couple years ago... did the long distance thing for over a year and got tired of that real quick... so.. moved out here last year... sold my tank, gave alot of my corals fish etc to people i knew and made the move... well be getting married in SD next may... this was my first winter... interesting to say the least... thats the long story super short /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif)

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS!! This should be your first stop when you start loading your tank up. Hope to see you around!

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome!!