1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello again

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DMreefer, Jan 4, 2017.

1. DMreefer

DMreefer

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    There seem to be a lot of "I'm back... again" messages in this forum, figured I'd follow suit. I picked up a 120 for myself for christmas to get back into things a bit.

Since I'm itching to get started on DIYing everything and not terribly interested in reading, have there really been any advances in technology outside of purely electronic gadgetry (LEDs, controllers, etc)?

Looking forward to getting involved again, hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.

Ryan

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    When was the last time you were following the hobby closely?

I don't know about advancing so much, but from reading it seems to be an ever changing ideas and methods, new and old, focusing mostly with nutrient transport. Carbon dosing, deep sand beds, algae scrubbers, macro algae systems, reactors for any and everything. The ideas and methods and substance behind them are ever changing, or coming back into more widespread use after people had moved on to the next greatest "advancement"
    Zeo systems, triton method, there are a number of named systems or methods out there that seem to be forever coming and going.

The electronic options, pumps, controllers, lights etc. is all improving faster than you can buy it. Controller integration, control-ability, wireless control and monitoring of any and everything is where most things are headed.